Chapter Fifteen

"What do you think of the name Katie for a girl?" Andrew was setting the table as Sarah busied herself in the kitchen. It was late afternoon on Thanksgiving Day and their guests would be arriving soon.

"What?" Sarah asked stirring the green beans.

"For the baby of course" Andrew said "or maybe Jessica".

"It could be a boy," Sarah said giving her stomach a small gentle rub.

"Okay what about Samuel for a boy?" Andrew said.

Sarah shook her head "it sounds a little too old fashioned".

Andrew nodded and thought "Nicolas or Nathan?"

"Nathan is cute, Nate for short" Sarah said, she opened the oven door and pulled the turkey tray out.

"Wait let me get that" Andrew rushed off and took the tray from her. "You shouldn't be lifting anything that heavy" he put the tray on the counter.

"This isn't my first baby, I know my limits sweetheart and I'll be fine lifting trays" Sarah smiled at him and gave his arm a soft rub "I'm okay".

Andrew smiled and gave her a hug "I know you're okay, but I don't want to take any chances".

Sarah ruffled his hair a little "I know sweetie" she chuckled a little. "If you could make sure the kids are dressed and ready I have a few last minute foods to prepare".

Andrew nodded "of course babe" he walked upstairs and knocked on Emma's door "you ready princess?"

"Al-most" Emma called from within her room.

Andrew frowned hearing the stutter in her voice. Was she crying? "Is something wrong baby girl?" he asked.

"N-no" Emma called back.

"I'm coming in baby girl" he said and pushed the door open. Emma was lying curled in a ball on her bed, with her Disney princess blanket pulled over her head. "Hey there" he sat down on the edge of the bed and rubbed her back softly "what's wrong baby girl?"

"Nothing" Emma whispered.

"There must be something wrong baby" he laid down next to her, his large frame taking up the majority of the bed. "You can tell me baby girl. I am your daddy; you can always come and talk to me about anything. I'll always be there for you".

"Always?" Emma peeked her head out from under the covers.

"Always Emma" he stroked her hair gently "I'll never leave you".

Emma looked down and whispered, "My other daddy left me".

"Your other what?" Andrew frowned; his hand stopped stroking her hair. It was as if the world around him had frozen. Time didn't pass between them.

"My daddy before we moved in with you" Emma said cuddling in close to his side.

Andrew gasped. It was like he was taken back into a foggy, confusing pass. He heard a gun shot, someone screaming out for their daddy and sirens blaring in the background. He ran his hand along his forehead; suddenly his head felt like there was a drum pounding.

"Daddy is you okay?" Emma tugged softly on his shirtsleeve.

With a big sigh and a shake of his head Andrew sat back up "yeah Emma, I'm fine". He got off the bed and straightened out his shirt "family will be arriving soon. You better head downstairs".

He left Emma sitting in her room as he knocked on the kid's doors to tell them to head downstairs too. He slipped into his bedroom and lay back on his bed.