Chapter 104: Piper's Punishment

Start from the beginning

Flopping down on the stone outcropping surrounding the eastern edge of the springs, he decided to let himself air dry and stared off into space, planting his chin on his palm.

He was actually really frustrated and disappointed by everyone's reaction to his choice. He'd thought they would have understood how he felt about everything.

Gus, in particular, constantly made him feel like everything he did or said was stupid, and he didn't like it at all.

His tail flicked back and forth across the stones as he pondered his relationship with the hunter.

Ever since Gus had punched him in the face, he couldn't help but feel like things were tense and slightly aggressive between them. It was obvious that the man strongly disliked him, and while he couldn't really blame him for it, he also didn't know how to make things right.

Didn't know if he could make things right.

"Xaphile?"

He jumped, then adjusted the towel, making sure it was covering his lower body properly before turning to look over his shoulder. Ella was standing not too far away. When he met her gaze evenly, the uncertain look on her face turned into a scowl.

The I'm-relieved-but-I'll-never-admit-it one.

"I was just letting myself dry off," he explained. "Needed to think."

"You were taking awhile. I wanted to be sure you were all right."

The poorly hidden concern in her eyes made him feel awkward for some reason. Heat slowly crept up his neck and into his ears without warning so he turned back around.

"I... yeah. I'm not crying or anything," he mumbled, pulling a long strand of hair from behind his back and running his claws through it. "I was just... I dunno. I was hoping they would have been more forgiving of what he did. It was wrong, but... he's trying to make things right."

Ella sat down beside him, planting her hands on the damp stones and looking at the sky.

A gust of wind brushed across his face and ruffled her snowy hair. When a few strands caught the light, he turned slightly, noticing with a blink that it was longer.

Just as his had grown out more, so had hers. It framed her face better than the boyish pixie cut she'd had when they'd first met.

"Your hair's gotten longer."

She jumped when he said it, then flushed scarlet and awkwardly fiddled with her hair.

"I... decided to grow it out," she sniffed, haughty tone mismatching her red face. "I am a woman, after all, and I am growing ever closer and closer to adulthood. I'm afraid that I might need something to make up for my lack of a comely figure in the years to come. Long, beautiful hair will suffice."

That strange ember inside him flared for a moment, although he didn't know why.

He looked away, but a few moments later, her head came to rest on his shoulder. He paused in the middle of running his claws through his hair, then continued without a word.

The two of them sat there in comfortable silence for while.

"What are you thinking about?"

The question caught him off guard.

He turned, glancing at her in surprise, then returned his attention to his tresses.

"I'm thinking about my uncle," he admitted, then reluctantly added, "and Gus."

She caught his wrist mid-stroke and he turned to look at her. Those pale pink eyes snared his own and he suddenly found himself unable to look away.