Soup Days (James Madison X Reader)

WARNING: My irrational obsession with James Madison.

PAIRING: James X Reader

REQUEST: None, hah.

PROMPT: Once again, nothing.

(A/N So I finally put a story up again! I'm currently working on a bunch of requests, so those will be up soon. While you're waiting, enjoy my James Madison oneshot that I posted despite my better judgement. I just really love him and he needs more love)

Y/N was walking down the street in the middle of October when she ran into her friend Thomas. He was walking out of a big office building with a smaller man following behind him. Y/N smiled and ran over. "Thomas! Good to see you," she said. "Nice to run into you too, Y/N, as long as you aren't with Alexander." He looked behind you, seeing if there was anyone following.

"Even if you hate him, he's still my friend. But, luckily for you, not today." Thomas breathed a sigh a relief, then remembered his companion. "Oh, by the way Y/N, this is James. We practically grew up together in Virginia, and he just moved to New York." Thomas slightly pushed James forward, and James politely but shyly shook your outstretched hand. "Nice to meet you," he softly said, before taking a step back.

"Nice to meet you too, James. I've heard a few stories of you and Thomas' adventures when you were little." After smiling a friendly smile at him, you turned back to Thomas. "I'm just on my way to go get some pizza. Do you guys want to come?" They gladly accepted your invitation, and within a few moments, you were all sitting around a table in a small pizzeria.

~

James slowly chewed his slice of pizza and tried his best not to stare at you. He had just met this Y/N, and so far he had said about 7 words to you. He hadn't talked much that entire evening, but he was alright with it since he wasn't one to enjoy talking. Sure, when he was with Thomas he would be more "chatty," but being so shy caused him to enjoy his own silence and let others talk.

Not only was he shy because he just met Y/N, but also because he was totally crushing on her. James was immediately attracted to Y/N, both by her gorgeous looks and charming attitude. So he sat back and, per usual, let Thomas do all the talking, while watching himself to make sure he didn't just stare at you.

After finishing the meal, Y/N stood up and hugged Thomas. "Thanks for coming Thomas! And-" she turned to James and shook his hand, "it was great to finally meet you, James!" Y/N's smile caused his heart to melt, and he was grateful for the scarf that covered up most of his blushing face. "It w-was n-nice meeting y-you t-too," he managed to quietly say. He liked how soft he hand felt, but mentally slapped himself for thinking of such weird things. Y/N smiled at a them both, turned around, and walked back towards her house.

Once Y/N was out of earshot, Jefferson looked down at his shorter friend and started laughing. "Ah, James, it's great to see you this way. It reminds me you actually have feelings." James looked up at Thomas, his face as red as a cherry, and tried to ask as innocently as possible, "Wh-what?"

"Don't act like you don't know, James. You think I wouldn't notice that you totally have a crush on Y/N?" James looked down at his feet, and mumbled a, "Wh-what do y-you m-mean? I don't kn-know what you a-are t-talking about." He started coughing, partially because of the cold air and mostly because of his nervousness and getting so worked up. Thomas put his arms around James shoulders and laughed. "Jimmy James, I've known you forever. I can tell when you have a crush on someone. But don't worry, I won't tell Y/N. Maybe," he said with a mischievous smile.

-

A few days later, James sat in his apartment, sick and miserable. He was just drifting into a restless sleep when he heard a knock at the door. The very sick James went and opened the door, forgetting how he probably looked that moment. He turned red when he saw that it was none other than Y/N, whom he had not seen since he first met her. Thankfully, his face was already reddish from the cold he had, so hopefully Y/N didn't notice him blushing.

"Y-Y/N," he said, surprised. "Hi James! Thomas mentioned that you were sick, so I made some chicken soup," she held up a tuber ware container, "and got directions to your house. I hope you don't mind."

"N-no, uh, it's fine! Thank y-you," he said shyly. After looking into her beautiful e/c eyes, he remembered his manners and said, "Oh, uh, c-come on inside." He winced when he turned around and was reminded of what his apartment currently looked like. "S-sorry about the m-mess..." he said, and gently taking the container from Y/N. "Nah, you should see my house. It's a complete pig sty, and I'm not even sick-" she stopped when James broke out into a coughing fit. She patted his back and worriedly said, "Oh my god, James, are you alright?"

James nodded his head and coughed into his handkerchief until he caught his breath, a little embarrassed. Why, why now? Once he was able to talk again, he nervously chuckled and said, "I'm f-fine. It's j-just-" he started coughing again. Y/N took the container of soup and led James to the couch. "Sit down," she commanded, and left to put the soup in the kitchen. She came back and sat next to James on the couch, not aware that his face was flushed pink.

Once James stopped coughing, Y/N said, "So, Thomas says you get sick a lot, huh?" James nodded his head, nervously wringing his hands. "Y-yeah, I, uh, just have a-a w-weak immune s-system." He tried to will himself to miraculously become like Thomas, so he would be less shy and would be able to actually converse with Y/N. "I'm sorry, that was a stupid question..." she said, with a slight hint of embarrassment in her voice. "N-no, its o-okay, I don't m-mind." She smiled at him, the smile that got him every time. They talked, actually talked for several minutes, when Y/N's phone buzzed.

She looked at it, and looked up at James apologetically. "I'm sorry, James, I gotta go." She pulled him into a hug, and he could feel his face heat up but he didn't mind.

She stood up and pulled on her coat so quickly that James opened his mouth to say something but found he didn't have the time to build up enough courage. Instead, he was only able to give a shy smile as she walked out of the door and said, "See you, James!"

Once she was gone, he found himself sitting down, disappointed with himself. He was going to ask for Y/N's phone number, or give his, but of course he did the most typical James Madison sort of thing and chickened out. James laid down on the couch, replaying the scene over and over in his head as torture. Of course she wouldn't want him. He was short and shy, and he always got sick. Nothing deserving of the beautiful, witty, charming, kind individual that he had such a massive crush on.

(A/N I think I'm gonna do a part two for this. Do you guys think I should? I promise this isn't me being hungry for comments, I would just like to know if y'all would enjoy that)