Reincarnated

"Hurry up old lady, the light is going to turn green any second now!"  Someone beside me yelled. I glanced over only to see the countdown on the small electronic screen and the woman only halfway across the road. I bolted towards her.

"Hey, Alexa, what are you doing? You're going to get run over!" One of my "supposed" friends screeched. I ignored her and reached the old lady just as the light turned green. I saw a truck hurling our way, and without hesitation, I grabbed onto the old lady's waist and hurled her towards the trashbag on the sidewalk. She landed with a soft "thump". Confused but okay. 

I sighed in relief. She was going to be alright. At least I saved a life before my death, I thought to myself. Not that it would make any difference in the afterlife; the amount of lives ruined by my parents could not be fully appreciated until one saw their souls in hell. The color of their hearts would probably be pure black and the demons originating from the innocent lives taken by them would number in the thousands. They deserved death, more than anyone else in this world could. 

I hate them. 

I don't miss them at all. 

Hell, I probably won't even miss this life. 

My existence was, and is, meaningless. No one would truly mourn my death, the daughter of those people. Sometimes, people even came to trash my house, ranting about how my family had ruined their lives. 

I did nothing. 

Because it was true. 

No matter how much I tried, I would never be able to erase their sins, to reverse what had been done. That old woman may only have a few years left to live, but... I would like to think that she has a family, someone who appreciates her... and that I have just made that person's life better. That's all that I wished for. To no longer be the cause of more pain, to, for the first time, cause someone true happiness. 

Something that would never be given to me.

And then I died.

When I awoke, I was on a marble pedestal in the middle of a lake. The lake was glassy, so smooth that it reflected my reflection like a mirror. Above me, was a sky so blue that I doubted that it was real, and there was not a single cloud to be seen. 

"Hello?" I asked into the random space in front of me. "Is anybody here? Helllooo," I tried to stand up on the pedestal and yell. All of a sudden I was jerked forwards and I nearly tumbled off the platform. The pedestal was moving. Yet... at the same time not moving. Different landscapes passed underneath me in the blink of an eye, so fast that I started to believe I was imagining things. All of a sudden, I was jerked forwards again. 

This is probably my stop, I thought to myself. The pedestal was now planted in the middle of a huge hall with marble columns and diamond accessories. I stared around me for some time before a voice spoke out.

"You have died." The voice was calm and intelligent.

I nodded in agreement. "Yes, I am quite aware. The road to hell was surprisingly nice."

The voice sounded surprised, "Hell? No, you are in a mini-dimension that I created that can temporarily hold souls. Though it is quite surprising. Most humans freak out when they realize that they are dead, yet you have already come to terms with it as a fact. Interesting. You are quite different from the rest."

"I was probably raised a lot differently than the rest." I retorted, not really wishing to discuss my past. The voice now sounded apologetic.

"I apologize, that was... inconsiderate of me, considering your past."

"No prob, I'm used to much worse," I said in a careless tone.

"Right," the voice coughed. "Now let us get back to business. You have been chosen to be reincarnated. When the rest of the gods heard about your... story, they felt sympathetic and decided to give you a new life. Such filial piety is rare these days, especially considering your... background." He coughed again. "Anyways, it is a world that you know of, but I'll keep it a secret for now. I will probably visit you sometime in the future. Maybe. Have a nice life." I heard a snap which most likely came from his fingers, and all of a sudden I experienced what it would probably feel like to be flushed down a toilet. Whoosh.

I opened my eyes the second time. Everything was bright. My eyes took a while to readjust. When I opened them again I saw two people staring at me with a warm gaze. I had never experienced such a feeling before and I blushed bright red.

"Look, Ed, she's smiling!"

˝Yes. And she looks just just like you."

"She looks like us both! Our daughter is going to be really beautiful when she grows up!" The feminine voice squealed. 

Parents. These people were my parents.

I felt stunned for a moment. As I looked at their affectionate gazes and warm smiles, I felt a weird sensation in my chest, and for some reason tears started to flow down my cheeks. My parents immediately became flustered and called a maid to help stop my crying.

For years, I had been trying to convince myself that I didn't need my old parents, that I didn't need love. 

I tried to hate them. 

It didn't work. 

Because It was a lie.

On the night that they had died, and it was announced on the news at 4 A.M. in the morning, instead of feeling joyful like I'd always imagined I'd be, I had felt a dull ache pierce my chest. 

Why?  Why did it hurt? All of my life I have tried to not acknowledge this fact, that even though they were horrible, abusive, and cruel people, that deep down I knew that they had loved me. I didn't want to know. So I hid this fact, I tried my best to hate my parents for what they had done, for wouldn't mourning over the death of two mass murderers also make me one of them? Make me a sinner, to miss the people that deserved no mourning, that caused so much pain and death?

Tears continued to stream down my cheeks while my new parents were panicking behind me. They weren't the tears of that day, they were completely different. Tears of complete and utter joy.

Because for the first time in a long time, I... have a family. I have a home.