F O U R

Days later, I still hadn't found the stupid ticket. I searched high and low, every which way through my room, but to no avail. The only other places I could've possibly left it was in Quentin's or Xavier's room, but when they offered to look around for me, they couldn't find it either.

What if I accidentally threw it away? No, that couldn't be. I kept it in my pocket the day of the interview, and I hadn't returned to my dorm until later on. It could've fallen out, but I remembered specifically taking it out that night and putting it somewhere. It had to be in my dorm.

I was so freaking irresponsible with my belongings. Maybe this was a sign. I really shouldn't have been taking this class in the first place.

"Rafaela. You listening to me?"

"Hmm?" His voice pulled me out of my thoughts. "Yes, of course, Xavier. You said something really important."

He looked incredulous. "So what did I just say?"

"Uh," I muttered. I couldn't remember anything beyond Xavier greeting me in one of our dorm lounges. There was a small group of kids already collected there, and Xavier tried to catch me up on the talk of the day. "Interesting stuff."

His eyes narrowed. "You really got some nerve. What's got you so--" his voice trailed off.

Just then, a head of silky jet-black strands floated down the hallway, accompanied by a sun-kissed figure with a graceful stride. Xavier's expression took a visible shift.

"Xavier," I prompted him when he didn't finish his sentence. "Xavier. What are you looking at?"

He didn't answer. Instead, his gaze was fixed on our class president, Hadassah, who wasn't even aware of our presence. She held a stack of green flyers in one hand and a pack of thumbtacks in the other. For a second, she stood still, eyeing the bulletin board she'd stopped in front of.

"Mmm. Who's got some nerve now, huh?"

Frustration sprouted from his lack of a response. I wanted to smack him, just to bring him back, but I found myself also unable to even remember what I'd said last. The sight of the soft, straight hair I wished I had was a serious distraction.

Hadassah cleared a spot on the bulletin board and attached one of her green flyers to it. The font was a bit faded, so I couldn't see exactly what was written from where I sat. But it didn't matter. All I wanted was for Xavier to snap out of his trance.

"Alright, whatever. Enjoy the view. Though if you don't respond within a span of five seconds, I may be forced to dismember your limbs," I joked.

Eyes wide, he spun around, looking more amused than afraid-- just what I was going for. "Wow. I always knew you were kind of crazy, but damn!"

"Now you know I'm kidding," I said, laughing.

"And now you know what it's like to be ignored."

I sucked in my teeth. "And you know what it's like to have drool dripping all up and through your face."

He scowled. "What drool?"

"Don't ask, tobo. Just wipe." I offered him the tissue box from the table in front of us. "I'm saving you from embarrassment."

Eventually, Hadassah met all the students lounging around the hallway and decided this was the best time to make her advertisement. "Hey guys!" she greeted the group. "How's everybody doing?"

"Ah, look!" A French boy across the room stood up with the cheesiest grin on his face. "Is that the sunrise? Or is it just Hadassah lighting up my world?"