chapter.3

Chapter Three

AVA could feel many eyes staring at her and Lucas. She couldn't understand the fascination. It didn't go past her that him and his friends could be popular. They were all very good looking, especially Lucas as she always thought he was very handsome. His messy dark brown hair, mysterious grey eyes and lightly tanned skin were all a reason for girls to swoon. Being the outdoorsy type, all of them had perfect bodies that, she assumed, had all the girls drooling.

Ok maybe she did understand the fascination.

The arm around her waist held her still as they waited for the admissions lady to give Ava her timetable. She was jittery with nerves and wanted to hurry up and explore the new place. As the mid-twenty year old shuffled around the messy desk for papers, Ava turned her head to look around the room with curiosity evident on her face. She had never seen a somewhere so busy. Even the parks weren't close to as filled as the hallways she passed.

The walls were painted in boring colours but there were several brightly coloured notice boards that had different posters covering them. Everything was new and exciting for Ava so despite the nerves, she was still pretty excited for the adventure.

Lucas noticed her looking and pulled her closer to him. He bent down slightly to mumble against her hair, "I'll take you on a tour later." Ava grinned at him with excitement, unknowingly making Lucas' heart beat a little faster.

"You two are just the cutest couple." The lady gushed at them.

Ava giggled a little. "Oh we're not a couple. He's my best friend." She stated quietly, shy in front of the new person. They were used to people thinking they were a couple. It happened quite often as they did act like it sometimes. Many people thought they'd eventually become one in the future but Ava didn't think it was possible for Lucas to see her as anyone other than his best friend, maybe his sister.

The lady just smiled, seemingly unconvinced. and gave Ava her timetable and locker number. Her hands were trapped in the sleeves of Lucas' large jacket so she rolled them up to take the timetable, before thanking her and walking away with Lucas.

"Let's see what you have baby." Lucas took the paper and quickly read over it, eyes widening in shock briefly. "You're in three out of five of my lessons little one."

"I'm smart." Ava casually said, playing with her sleeves whilst rocking back and forth on her heals.

He laughed. "Guess our little study sessions worked ay?"

Ava was naturally a fast learner so it didn't take long for her to exceed her tutors expectations. Lucas wasn't allowed during these tutoring sessions but he would always help her with homework and even teach her a few things. Miss Barnaby did tell her she'd be in some lessons with the year above, even though she'd be one of the youngest in her own year, whereas Lucas was the oldest in his.

"Where did the guys go?" Ava asked, noticing their friends were nowhere around.

"Already went to lessons. Speaking of which, we should get going."

They walked to her locker, placed conveniently next to Lucas'. She was declared this was their meeting place in case either of them got lost in the big school. Thankfully, he agreed.

Her first lesson was Maths and luckily, it was with Lucas. Sometimes she liked maths but other times she didn't. It depended whether or not she knew the answer. However, it would be different now that she got to do the lesson with Lucas.

"Hi Mr Jennings. This is Ava. She's joining the class." Lucas introduced her to the maths teacher. It's was an old man that had lost most of his hair and had a bit of a belly. Ava decided he reminded him of Santa Claus. He looked friendly enough.