Twenty

Cas' heart was beating fast. As he was sneaking down the stairs he thought of all the times he had been punished for something. It would be even worse if they found him now. But Aaron was worth it. Cas made his way quietly across the living room but froze when he saw Gabriel sprawled in a chair. For a moment he thought he was caught- but no, Gabe was asleep. Cas paused for a second, staring at Gabe. He wished he didn't have to deceive Gabe, who'd always been nice to Cas. But Gabe would hate him for this, that Cas knew. He shook his head, took a deep breath, and walked out the door.

Cas looked up at Gabriel, at some point he had ended up hugging his knees on the floor.

"Cas, are you okay?" Dean asked, worried. Gabriel took a few steps forward and knelt in front of him. Cas watched him through tear filled eyes, afraid of what he would do or say.

"Castiel," he murmured, and before Cas knew it Gabe was hugging him fiercely.

"Gabriel?" Cas said, shocked. Gabriel let him go and pulled him to his feet.

"Cas! God, I never thought I'd see you again!" Gabriel exclaimed. Cas wiped his eyes.

"I thought you hated me," Cas replied as they all finally went into Sam's apartment.

"I never hated you, Cas. I admire you more than anything. You had the courage to leave. How is Aaron, by the way? Did you marry him, break up with him, what? I want the details," Gabe said as they sat down on Sam's couch. Cas' smile faded.

"I... I left him two days ago," he said, subdued.

"Oh. I'm sorry, did he do something?" Gabe asked. Cas heard Dean try to suppress a snort of derision.

"I would prefer not to talk about it right now," Cas said. Gabriel nodded.

"Well, this has been one hell of a family reunion, and I can only think of one way to properly continue!" Gabriel exclaimed.

"Ice cream," Sam said quietly.

"Ice cream!" Gabe exclaimed. Cas smiled.

***

Cas had forgotten how energetic Gabe was, even before he had sugar. They were all sitting together in a quaint, colorful little ice cream shop, swapping stories about all that had happened in the last seven years. Cas learned that after he had left, Gabriel had left himself, going off to travel. He had severed all ties with the Novak family, just like Cas, and went out on his own. He drifted around for a while before landing at a candy store and meeting a boy. A boy that he was now dating.

"That's nice, Gabriel. Tell me about him," Cas said.

"Well I'll just let him tell you himself," Gabe said. Cas and Dean looked at each other, confused, before they both noticed Sam's blush.

"Dude! You had a boyfriend and you didn't tell me?" Dean exclaimed.

"Our relationship had a bit of a rocky start," Gabe said. Dean raised his eyebrows.

"Don't ask," Sam said. Cas smiled.

"Well I'm glad it's working out," he said.

"We're really happy," Gabe said, and for a second, Cas was too.