Chapter 2

My mother and I stood in the middle of the airport waiting for Chris’s plane to come in. My mother had insisted that I come with her, and when I asked why all she said was, “because.” She didn’t insist on bringing my little sister so I was stuck with no one to talk to.

I was standing, with my headphones in, listening to my iPod, when my mother nudged me to let me know she saw him coming down the stairs. When I looked up I was surprised to see that the eleven year old boy that I had once known had turned into a stunningly handsome young man. That didn’t make me hate him any less, but was an add bonus to him living with us.

He was wearing black jeans, a white t-shirt and a leather jacket. He walked with a slight limp that made me wonder if he had done something to his leg, and then I realized that was just how he walked. I hated people that walked like that. It made them seem arrogant.

He dropped his bags at my mother’s feet and said his hellos. He then turned to me. I was still playing with my iPod, so I wasn’t watching him. He picked up my hand from my side and kissed the top. I heard my mother quietly laugh next to me.

“And this beautiful brunette must be Sage,” the superiority in his voice made me want to slap him, but I held myself back.

I still didn’t look up from my iPod, but said, with as much politeness as I could muster, (which wasn’t much), “let go of my hand.”

Chris just laughed. “Or what?” he smirked.

I looked up at him and glared, “or I will slap you so hard-,” that did the trick and he let go of my hand immediately. I laughed and started to walk away with my mother following. Chris just stood where we had left him, “Well, who’s going to carry my bags?”

I laughed, “Hmmm maybe… YOU,” I shrugged and kept walking. I heard him grunt behind me, but he was soon following right behind my mother and I. When we got to the car, I helped him put his stuff in the trunk before climbing into the front seat.

The first few minutes of the car ride were full off awkward silence. It became too intense for me so I turned on the radio. My favorite song was playing so I started to sing it out loud. My mother started singing also and soon we were completely ignoring Chris. At one point on the hour long drive to my house from the airport, I glanced back and saw that Chris was scowling. I laughed and that earned me a glare, but I just kept smiling.

When we got to my house I went straight to the front door, without helping Chris with his bags. I said “hi” to my father and little sister, and then had to introduce Chris to them. My little sister had been too little the last time that we had seen him and my father always had to work.

“Chris, this is my father, Tim, and my little sister, Bethany,” I said, pointing them out. Chris just shrugged.

“So where is my room?” he asked as if my family wasn’t even there. I gave a look of annoyance to my mother; she returned it with a warning look.

“Over here.” I scowled at him, through clenched teeth, but I lead him back to the front of the house. My mother had turned her craft room into a bedroom for him. We only had two days to get everything done, but I thought we had done a pretty good job considering the time crunch.

The walls had been painted white, over the original pink, and there was a queen sized bed in the middle of the room. On the left of the bed, underneath the window, there was a desk, and to the right was his Closet. He looked around and groaned before setting his stuff down on the bed slumping onto the mattress. I left the room as soon as I could.

The day had gone great so far. At least no one had yelled at anyone else, but then again, the day wasn’t over yet.