[ Chapter 10 ] - [ Earthly Discoveries ]

"Shu!! Shu!! Over here!"

You look up from your lunch to glance at Valt's elated figure waving down his best friend. You couldn't help but note that Shu stuck out like a sore thumb among the walking children in your class due to his striking appearance. White hair stood out among the various brown and black, red eyes glowing among the blue and brown, you let out a small chuckle. Before properly acknowledging Shu, you looked around to see the rest of the children occasionally give you excited looks before talking to their friends. The bustling atmosphere of hungry children along with the delicious aroma practically made you super grateful to share the experience despite the (positive) gossip and chatter about you roaming the class. Refocusing your attention on the meal in front of you, you munch appropriately on your lunch that the lunch ladies made graciously (you were basically mimicking Valt's actions) and only smile when Shu finally turns around.

"Oh, hey, you two," Shu says, walking over to sit on an empty desk across from you and Valt. He settles his lunch tray on top and scooted his chair in. "How are you?"

"Heyyy, no polite talk! We're all friends here," Valt waves him off before chowing down on the rice served today. "Oh, Shu! I was so excited about the Rush Shoot improvement yesterday, y'know? I couldn't sleep last night because I was so excited to do it again after school." He squeals, "Oh! And the fact that the club is official makes me so hyped for school to be over!"

Shu shook his head in disapproval, "Don't speak with your mouth full, Valt." Shu scoops up a spoonful of soup and blows on it, "Besides, the club is temporarily official. You still need to find a fifth member."

"Either way, it's exciting," you say, "I can say that Valt—" you begin, struggling on the sidelines to hold the chopsticks properly. "—He was tossing and turning—awe man. . ." you dropped the chopsticks on the desk after fumbling for the fifth time.

Shu looks at you before softening his eyes, "Hey, you're supposed to hold it like this—" he grabs your hands to help you hold them. "Cradle the bottom one between your thumb and index finger, like. . .this," he says while placing your fingers properly and letting go to hold his own to show you further. "Then, once you hold them correctly, you move the top stick up and down—almost like a lever to grab your food—like this," he picks up a good amount of rice and ate it flawlessly.

You stared at him as if he were a god.

"I thought you remembered how Mom told you to," Valt mentions with a confused stare.

"Eh, I faked it till I made it," you answered honestly before trying to mimic Shu's actions. "But thanks, Shu!" You smile and giggle excitedly upon finally picking up a reasonable amount of white rice to continue eating human food. "I have to say, I find it interesting that your school gives out lunch to every student."

"What do you mean?" Valt asked before reaching to the milk carton with a straw sticking out. He plops it in his mouth and began to sip out of it with an oblivious look on his face.

"She doesn't know much about human customs—" Shu briefly pauses and gave you a quick glance, "—Right?"

"Yeah," you nodded, confirming his suspicions. "I mostly assumed everyone brought homemade lunches at first but it's so interesting how you guys have like, team leaders, who take care of stuff. The teacher even told me I get to try being the lunch leader tomorrow!" You happily giggled and finished up your meal rather quickly. "Plus, I get to try lots of Japanese meals! I'd say it's a win-win."