Chapter 7

Streetlight, People, Livin' Just to Find emotion, Hiding Somewhere In The Night
(1:45)

"You can talk when you're ready." Maya finally said after all the silence. Lucas blinked a few times.
"I'm just thinking of where to start." The boy spoke as he ran a hand through his hair. She smiled at him, and tapped her wrist as if to make a joke for time. He rolled his eyes with a slight noise from the back of his throat.
"Well, ever since I was little I was always a real strong boy. I used to be the toughest in our whole grade. But I was also the quickest to fly off the handle. I met Zay as kids, and he became my best friend quickly, and soon after I found out what all the other kids said about him. Zay was a bit blunt, and that got him into some trouble. But he was my best friend, and I protected him. People learned pretty quickly that you didn't mess with Zay unless you wanted to mess with me." The memory of meeting Zay was so fresh in his mind. The swing set in the 3rd grade. Before that Lucas had friends but no close friends, and when he saw Zay being made fun of by a bunch of 4th graders, he felt like he had to do something. Little Lucas marched over there and yelled right back at those 4th graders, and when one tried to fight, He made sure they remembered the name Lucas Friar. It may have gotten him in a bit of trouble. But nothing Zay couldn't talk him out of. Just like that their duo was born. Lucas dealt with the kids as long as Zay delay with the repercussions later. Which worked, but only for awhile.
"You sound close." She whispered, her eyes searched his, and he hoped he didn't look as broken as he felt.
"We were, are. It was last school year. Zay had somehow managed to stay out of trouble after a close run in with some cops. He got into it with some kids at school, it wasn't the usual that I could get him out of. I tried to intimidate them, but they weren't like everyone else. They were the kind of kids who were doing some shady stuff overnight. Let's just say they weren't the kind of kids I could intimidate. So they told me they'd get us, I should've gone to someone and told them. Anyone I should have told anyone." He started to pull away but Maya grabbed both of his hands. She scooted closer, and she was almost on the boys lap as she urged him forward. He knew she wouldn't want to hold his hands after he told her. But she wasn't giving up, and the chances of her ever seeing him again after she got up and marched away from him in anger or fear were slim. So he sighed and continued the story.
"We were headed home one night. It was really late but there had been a party for the baseball team. I was driving my old car when there was a guy in the middle of the road. I stopped because that's what you do in Texas. You help people. They knew that. So when I stepped out I heard the switch blade. It was tough." He stopped abruptly. His mouth hanging open a bit but his words not coming.
"Hey, it's okay. What happened to you Huckleberry?" She asked as she grabbed his face in her hands. She ran soothing thumbs over his jawline and he met her eyes.
"I beat the shit out of them" he whispered. But he knew it had been worse than that. They'd caught him around the arm and got Zay in the leg. But Lucas had gotten the blade a genuinely beat the shit out of the guy who had pulled the knife. So badly that he spit out teeth and blood. His face beaten beyond recognition.
"Maya, it was bad. Really, really bad." He whispered again. His eyes were tearing up and she just smiled a small smile at him. "The Guy almost died. I almost killed someone." He finished. He pushed off quickly and backed himself up. Ready for her to get up, for her to run away, to scream. Not to grab his hands. The same hands that had almost killed James Jordan and kissed his knuckles. She did it slowly and sweetly a smile still etched on her lips. When she looked up at him his eyebrows were furrowed. He was confused.
"You did what you had to do to protect your friend. It was either you or him Lucas, and you didn't give up. You should not be ashamed of that. At least not with me." He shook his head slowly as if trying to process.
"I didn't want too, I just got so angry for no reason."
"No you had a reason, do not let anyone tell you otherwise. You did what you had to do." She forced him to look at her. His eyes met hers and she smiled. "Come here." She pulled him down so that his face was cradled in her neck, her hair tickling his cheek as she ran a soothing hand up and down his back. He settled into the hug quickly. His arms wrapping around the small girls waist and breathing in Maya's scent with a smile on his face. After several moments he spoke into her neck, and the way his lips brushed her neck Maya's mind ran with sinful thoughts.
"Huh?" She basically whispered. The boy pulled away slowly and she couldn't help how her face fell into a pout. He wanted to kiss that pout, but he knew he couldn't.
"The whole town shunned me a my momma. That's why we're here. They all looked at me like they didn't even know who I was anymore. The people who had watched me grow up. They looked at me like..."
"They look at you like your a monster. Trust me. I know the feeling." She whispered out as she looked out the window. Suddenly she was reliving the whole thing. He grabbed her hand and regained her attention.
"What do you mean?"

Authors note
Hahahaha Covid 19 am I right. Let's not talk about how long it's been since I wrote on this. I don't wanna talk about it. Anyways, I hope you like it. Love you all, Kisses!