Chapter 1

Just a small town Boy Livin in a Lonely World He Took the Midnight Train Going Anywhere

It was late, almost midnight and Lucas knew that as he tossed and turned again. He was nervous and he knew that. Moving from Austin, Texas to New York in a little over two weeks was kinda a big deal. Especially when you are a senior who had never been in a big city like this. He shot up out of bed with sweat pouring down his face. Another nightmare, they're normally about him doing something really bad. Lucas had some issues you could say, but he was determined to be normal here. No matter how much it took. He wiped his face with his cool hands. He knew he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep after that one. So instead he pushed the covers away from his body and stood up on the soft plush carpet. He stretched out lightly as he checked the time. 11:47. He sighed. There was no more sleep to lull him in. Dreams are sometimes so realistic you are questioning everything you believed in before you fell asleep. The world around him was silent but Lucas wouldn't fall asleep again that night. An idea struck him, when he was in Texas and couldn't sleep he would walk around the fields for a sense of quiet. Though Lucas knew he could take care of himself on the streets of New York he wanted to feel safe. So maybe he could ride the subway around for awhile. Clear his mind of all the evil darkness that was slowly seeping in. He pulled off his flannel pants and threw on some ratty old pair of jeans, with a blue tee to go with it. He clambered around until he found the old tennis shoes. He grabbed an old Texas hoodie and pulled it on over the outfit.
'Perfect.' He thought as he pulled his phone off charge. He opened his door oh so delicately as if any sound would kill him in an instant. As the door was just open enough for him to get out of it he did, tiptoeing past his mom's room and right to the front door. He grabbed his keys and earbuds from the counter as he pushed open the door quietly already putting his earbuds in. He pulled the black hood up over his head as he shut and locked the front door, praying his mother would never find out he left. As soon as the door was closed his favorite playlist was already going. He looked up the directions for the subway on his phone and followed them to the nearest station, which was only a half a mile from where he lived. He lived in an alright neighborhood, seeing as he had only been there for a week. The place had a lot of people though, something he wasn't used to in rural Texas. He enjoyed living on a giant property, a place with acres upon acres to explore. Which was nice on nights like this, where there was no way he was going back to his soft bed. The cold air nipped at him but he didn't pay any attention to it, he was too determined to get to the subway, and clear his head. As he made it to the bright lights of the subway station he paid for his ticket and got on to the first train he saw. He didn't know how long it would be until he got back home but he didn't care. For once he felt like city life might actually suit him. As he stepped on the train there were far less people than on the streets. He sat in the corner with his head lent on the cold glass. His music basically blasted in his ear, but he didn't care much. He wasn't even really listening to it anyways. He began to think about what his new life would bring him, what his new school would be like, or if he would make any friends at this new school.
'What if they hate me?' Lucas wondered. He had no idea what he would do if he had to deal with more bullies. After his last school he could really never think about moving back to Texas ever. It would be too much for him, and way too much embarrassment for his mom. To put it short, he nor his mom were gonna be welcome back in Texas for a very long time. To be completely honest Lucas didn't really mind. He knew as soon as he could he was gonna get out of there anyways. He loved Texas, but hated the people. He loved his pappy a lot, but he never seemed to be good enough for him. Like no matter how much he ever did, it still wasn't his best, or it still wasn't good enough. He hated the thought of not being good enough. It led him to most of his episodes usually. His episodes weren't so easily contained, most of the time. He hated being who he was a lot, like if he wasn't Lucas Friar then his family wouldn't be going through the kind of hell they were going through now. If he had just never been born and never been apart of their lives, they would still be happy. Maybe. These where the kind of thoughts Lucas was told to avoid, but it was kinda hard really. He couldn't escape them, every time they would just sit there in the back of his mind waiting for the perfect moment to jump into his brain and ruin him all over again. He jumped lightly and people in the subway car gave him an odd look. Except for a small blonde girl on the complete other side. She was sitting criss cross with her back against the side and a notebook of some sort in hand, with earbuds in listening to something. Her eyes were bright and curious towards the boy. Her head was tilted lightly to the right as she stared at him. When she realized he was staring back at her she blushed and bit her lip. She looked away for a brief moment before returning his gaze with beautiful bright blue eyes. The kind that made you question if the sky was really blue or if her eyes were bluer.
"What are you listening to?" She mouthed towards him, good thing he can read lips I suppose. He turned on his screen and flashed it at the girl only to have her hold up her phone to be playing the exact same song, Don't Stop Believin'.

***

Authors note: this is kinda just a short fun story about Lucaya except not really fun. Anyways it's short but I'm updating it slowly due to just time issues and stuff. It won't be really long but it's not really all that short. Anyways hope you enjoy, love you all, kisses!