This Time

This Time

27th March

Ethan's POV

I took the biggest breath of my life as I knocked onto the Taylor's front door, the information I hold in my hand is life changing for Declan, how he handles this news, I have no idea. This will not only change his future but there's also that chance that it could hurt him more than ever, how do you possibly prepare to tell some this news. It's not just one set of results that I'll be trying to explain to him, but another, one that I discovered myself, one that I will change this young mans life forever. I looked down at the two yellow envelopes I hold in my sweaty hands, this is something I never thought I'd have to say to a patient of mine.

"Ethan, everything alright? You look like shit, man." Matt chuckled as he opened the door, if only I felt like laughing back to him, wow, for someone that talks to at least a hundred different people a day, with no problem at all, why is this so much harder?

"Is Declan home, Matt?" I asked as I looked into his eyes, finally taking my eyes off from what is in my shaky hands. The moment I asked for Declan and looked at him, his joking face switched off and serious 'don't mess with my kid face' was instantly turned on, his eyes flicked to what I was holding and he opened the door up wider and directed me inside.

"Come and sit down, I'll get Sums to make us a drink, I won't be long." he gave me a smile as we both walked into the living room, I couldn't sit down, so I walked around a little and looked at all the photos of the family scattered through out the room. My eyes found one of Izzy and Declan, they were cuddling together, they look so happy here, looks recent, for two people that have been through so much sure can hide all that pain behind those eyes of theirs.

"Hey Ethan, when did you start making home visits?" Sums chuckled a little as she walked in with two mugs, Matt wasn't far behind her with one of his own.

"I don't, but this matter I have to discuss with Declan is about to be put into the hands of our attorney at the hospital, there was a big fuck up down at the lab." I sighed, my head was pounding from the headache that's been caused of all this, a week in fact, it's just one big fucking mess.

"What's this have to do with Declan?" Matt frowned, we all sat down and I placed the two envelopes on the coffee table and sipped on my coffee, hell that tastes good. I rubbed my temple a little before I looked at two very concerned looking parents, Declan is very lucky to have these two in his life.

"My nurse got both sets of samples mixed up, Declan's was labeled with another patient, and vise versa, now both of them have been given the wrong test results that could potentially change everything for both couples." I think I'm gonna have a stiff drink tonight, I probably already look like I've been drinking, my hair is all messy, my tie is hanging loosely around my neck, the buttons on my shirt are popped open, I'm just very stressed and it's showing.

"So what you're saying is that Declan can have children and the other guy can't, and they have both been told the opposite of what the real tests showed?" Matt asked, I looked at him and nodded slowly, Sums gasped loudly and her hand flew up to her mouth, both of them had their eyes wide and they both now look frozen.

"Yep, my head is about to explode with all of the shit that's been happening and that's not the only news I have for him either, I just don't know how he's gonna take the new information." I rattled off, maybe a whole bottle of scotch sounds good about now.