Chapter Fourteen: Just Like Prom

Chapter Fourteen
Just Like Prom 

“Caleb!” was the word that I uttered the moment I burst the door open.  “Caleb Princely!” I called for the second time.

     Judging from the silence of the apartment, I’m guessing Haley has been stuck at work today, probably working on another event and I’m hoping—not guessing, but hoping—that Caleb wasn’t able to get back here because he got mobbed by fans and haters.

     I dropped the keys on the counter and threw my bag on the couch.  I headed to the bathroom and strewed my clothes on the tiled flooring.  I slid the blurry glass shower door and suddenly, found myself screaming right in front of a naked Caleb Princely.

     We both shouted for a very long moment until I’ve gathered my consciousness and slid the glass door back shut.  I pulled on a bath robe from the rack across the shower and ran out the bathroom, slamming the oak door shut.  Somehow, I found it funny.  I went to my room and laughed to my heart’s content.  The door swung open.  Haley frowned with oddity.

     “What’s so funny?” she asked as she closed the door.

     I sat up and wiped the tears that filled my eyes.  “Caleb and I were naked,” I said in between laughs.

     Her eyes widened in horror.  “What?

     I nodded, still laughing out loud.

     “You slept together?” she said appallingly.

     “No, no, no,” I shook my head as I tried to speak.  “I was going to have a shower then, when I opened the shower door, he was there,” I spoke in between laughs.

     Her eyes remained wide open but her shock melted into amusement.  “Was he hot?”

     “Burning!” I said, affirmative.

     To avoid any awkward encounter, Haley acted as a watch out to make sure that there’s no sign of Caleb before I head out of the room.

     She poked her head inside and whispered.  “Coast is clear.”

     I sneaked past his door to the bathroom and finally had a nice long shower that helped me forget about the media happenings for the past few days.  I wrapped myself in a towel after the shower and headed out the room without making any noise.  As I was closing the door very quietly, out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of him doing the same thing next door.  We both jump in surprise and stutter as we began to make excuses.

     “I'm just going to…” I pointed towards our room behind his back.

     “Right, of course,” he nodded once without looking, his hand still resting on the knob then, pursed his lips.

     I stiffly passed by him and before I could twist the knob open, he called me back.

     “Ava, I, uh,” he hesitated.

     I thought twice regarding whether or not should I turn back but then, I figured it would be rude no to do so.  I faced him, clutching my towel close to my chest.  “What is it?”

     “There’s a premiere tonight.  Uhm,” he cleared his throat.  “The movie I did last month, Paid Boyfriend?” he said as though trying to make me ring any bells.

     “Yeah, I've heard of it,” I pursed my lips and made slow tiny nods.

     “I want you to be my date tonight,” he blurted.