Chapter Ten: On The Set of "In Time With You"

Chapter Ten

On The Set of "In Time With You" 

I wake up the next morning, checking my phone for any messages from Haley but it was flooded with eighty-three missed calls from mom, dad, Mr. Burghe—oh God—, Lorry, Tiffany and Matt.  They left messages and I knew what they were all about.  Finding there was no call nor text from Haley, I went straight to the bathroom and screamed at my own reflection which made me feel stupid because I’m actually looking at myself in a totally horrible hair—let’s not talk about it—and smudged makeup.

     I turned the heater on and immersed myself in the hot shower.  My mind felt more open and awake.  After dressing up in a long orange sleeveless top and a fresh new comfy pair of leggings, I blow-dried my hair and heard a knock on the door.

     “Who is it?”

     “It’s Amy,” a girl answered on the other side of the door.

     I opened the door to find a little girl of twelve years, carrying a wooden tray with a plate of two eggs and bacon strips arranged in a smiley face and a stack of pancakes in another plate with a melting butter and an overflowing maple syrup plus, a glass of orange juice.

     “Hi,” she greeted with a smile.

     “Hello,” I smiled back.

     She went inside the room and left the tray on the tiny round wooden table then faced me with a beaming smile, I was afraid her cheeks might explode.

     “Uhm…” I started.

     “I just want to let you know that what you did was awesome!” she exploded with admiration.  “I used to have a crush on Caleb but even if he’s so good-looking, his attitude is a turn-off.”

     My, I think I’m going to like this kid.

     “You watched the news?” I asked with a tiny smile left on my face, the nostalgia of fear creeping back to me as if it had only happened yesterday…

     Right.  It did happen yesterday.

     “Yeah, and I was thinking, like, who is this girl?  She rocks!  Then, grandpa told me to bring breakfast to you and asked him why then he told me about it and I told him that I’ll cook for you and here I am!” she talked without breathing.

     “Thanks!” I felt a bit better.  “But, I still need to interview Caleb Princely,” I sat down on the chair resentfully and picked on a bacon strip and shoved it in my mouth.

     Amy sat on the wooden cushioned dining seat across me.  “I know where he is.”

     “Really?” I leaned forward with eagerness.  “Can you tell me where he is?”

     “He’s at Sunset Boulevard filming for In Time With You.  The crews did a great job in creating the set, though.  I saw it on MTV.”

     “Thanks, Amy.  You’re the best!” I said in merriment.

     “But!” she said sternly.  “You have to finish breakfast before heading there.”

     “Yes, ma’am,” I said as I grabbed the fork and the knife at the side of the tray.

     She giggled and watched me gobble everything up as I complimented her cooking.  I haven’t had this kind of breakfast since I graduated high school.  It suddenly brought back images of mom cooking for me every morning.

     I gulped the last of the juice and thanked Amy for everything.

     “Good luck!” she called out as I ran out the door with my black body bag and boots.