Chapter 1

"Sierra!" my mother called me.

"What?" I groaned.

"It’s dinner time!" Ugh.

"Hold on!" I yelled. For some reason, as much as I love to eat, I could never seem to bring myself to get up and actually get some food.

I wrapped my headphones around my phone, turned it off and tossed it on my bed, then made my way downstairs, towards the kitchen.

"What are we having?" I walked through the doorway and sat down in my usual spot for dinner.

"Barbecued ribs with Mac & Cheese."

Finally, she made something that I didn't hate. My mother was an amazing cook, but half of the things she prepared were something everyone else liked but me.

My brother, Tristan, sat down and food and plates began to fill the table. I didn't take much. I just wasn't hungry for some reason.

"So Sierra, are you excited for your first day of school?" My mother asked.

"Yeah." I lied. The last thing I wanted was to go to my new school tomorrow. I already knew what would happen. People would call me names and make fun of me. I was pretty used to it, but I'm really not different from most girls. The problem is I've spent half of my life in solitude. And when I care about someone else, they never care about me in return. I'm useless. I know what they will think of me. In some ways I am different, but not really. I just like to be alone.

My mom constantly tries to get me to talk to people and make friends but I've been tormented by so many people verbally and physically, I've just grown used to avoiding people. The only friend I've really ever had is Kyla, but I haven't talked to her since she moved. She was the only person who understood me. She understood how I felt about life, she understood why I am the way I am. She knew me better than anyone else. I could tell her anything. 

"That's good." My mother said.

The rest of dinner was pretty much silent. I finished my dinner and rinsed my plate off in the sink, then headed back up to my bedroom.

Walking in, I threw myself on my bed and picked my phone up, looking at the lock screen for a moment, as a tear escaped from my eye and rolled down my cheek.

I turned my phone off and plugged it in to charge. I changed into a navy blue T-shirt and grey sweatpants, and turned off the light. Pretty much a normal day for me, but I had coming my way.