Chapter 20 (Living Situations)

Start from the beginning

I kept my eyes to the ground as I walked past him and out the door. I ran downstairs to find Christine grabbing her car keys and purse.

"I'm heading out now." She said. "You two better hurry."

"We will." I said. "Have a nice day."

Christine left and I sat on the couch to wait for Derek. I constantly checked my watch, afraid we'll be late. How does he deal with the stress of potentially being late? Oh that's right, Derek doesn't care.

Derek came bouncing down the stairs. He went to the fridge and grabbed a red bull. He chugged it down then motioned for me to come.

I followed him outside and onto his bike. He gave me his helmet and I slipped it on. He backed out of the driveway and took off towards school. I smiled at the rush I got from the speed of the bike. It's so freeing. Now I understand why Derek would want a bike and not a car.

Soon we arrived at school and we had 10 minutes to spare. I guess with the speed of his motorcycle, he gets to school much quicker.

Derek held my hand as we walked to my locker. People gave us strange looks as we walked down the hall. I can't believe they're still talking about what happened with Derek. That was three days ago.

"Hey." Jess said, coming up to me once we were to my locker. "How are you?" She asked me.

"I'm alright. The bruises have mostly faded."

"I'm sorry I couldn't visit. My grandmother has been needing a lot of attention. And I'm sorry we couldn't take you in. I feel like an awful best friend."

"Don't worry about it. I completely understand."

She looked up at Derek and stared at him with furrowed brows for a moment before returning her attention to me.

"Is everything okay?" I asked her.

"Yeah." She answered with a smile. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"You were looking at Derek weird."

She let out a sigh and grabbed my arm, pulling me away from Derek. Once she decided we were far enough she told me the problem.

"I guess you should hear this from me rather than from someone else." She paused. "There's a rumor that Derek is the one who beat you up. Some people feel bad for you, others think you're stupid for still going out with him, and others understand because of how hot he is."

People think Derek did this to me? How could they think that? How would that rumor even get started?

"Hey Derek!" I heard a familiar voice boom. I cursed under my breath and turned to see Brad with a few of his friends flanked behind him.

"You think just because you're big and bad, you can beat on innocent girls like Arabella?" Brad asked.

"Brad, don't do this." I said, going to stand in front of him. "Derek didn't do this."
"You don't have to be afraid to tell me the truth. I'll protect you."

"I don't need your protection. Derek didn't do this to me."

"I'll take care of him."

Brad gently pushed me aside and made his way to Derek. Derek simply stood his ground.

"You're just dying to fight me, aren't you?" Derek asked him with a smirk. "Okay then, just to get it over with. Don't be disappointed when you get you're a** kicked."

Brad swung at Derek and made contact with his face. Derek stumbled back a little. He quickly recovered ad punched Brad back. Brad stumbled and fell to the ground, clutching his cheek. Derek didn't give him time to recover before he leaped on him and began punching him. Brad's friends leaped on Derek and tried to pull him off of Brad, but Derek pushed them away.