Sun-Kissed Lovers

"Jaiden! Come on, you'll love the beach!" Ashley squealed in excitement as she pulled on my hand. I stubbornly held my ground and stayed seated on the couch, refusing to give into her.

"I don't want to go." I stated in the saddest and whiniest voice I could manage. Ashley plopped down next to me on the couch, crossed her arms and pouted.

"If you don't go, I can't go see Cherri." Ashley whined, shaking my shoulder like a little kid having a temper tantrum. I rolled my eyes and let out a small chuckle because Ashley went to the beach with her girlfriend Cherri only yesterday.

"Doesn't matter. I'm not going to the beach because I hate swimming with a binder on." I reminded her about my binder because that usually stops her whenever she wants me to do certain things like swimming or going for a run.

"You don't even have to go into the water, Jaiden! You can go and hang out with Randi or Brandi or Wes or something." My interest peaked when she mentioned Wes' name. I could feel my face blushing and I hoped that it was not completely noticeable to Ashley.

"Wait one second." Ashley grabbed my face in her pale hands and started to examine it closely. "Dilated pupils. Red cheeks. Sweaty forehead. You have a crush on Wes!" She exclaimed, jumping back from where I was sitting.

"N-no I don't." I stuttered causing Ashley's braced-toothed smile to grow bigger if that was even possible.

"Yes, yes you do. You have to come now. Wes was the one who invited us." I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach. Wes invited me? The star of the drama club invited little old outcasted me to the beach? He hasn't even talked to me since we were partners in English last semester.

"I guess it couldn't hurt to go for a little swim." I finally admitted even though I was not getting into the water. Ashley jumped up from the couch and grabbed my hand, this time I allowed her to pull me up and drag me to my bedroom to get ready.
---------------
"Ashley?" My voice squeaked as I choked out her name. We were sitting in the parking lot of the beach, waiting for me to work up the courage to get out of the passenger seat.

"Yeah?" She responded and I took a big gulp as we hopped out to get the bags from the trunk of the car.

"What if he sees my binder? Or what if one of the twins mess up with pronouns again? Or what if---" Ashley slapped her hand over my mouth to cut off my rambling. I began to lick her hand to get her to move and she did, jumping back and squealing before wiping my spit on my tee shirt.

"Take a deep breath." She said after a minute. "Now exhale." I let out a breath. "You are going to be alright. You are just having a fun day at the beach with your friends." I shook my head and let out another big sigh. Ashley's right, how bad can a day at the beach be?

After we grabbed our bags, we locked up the car and made our way over to where our friends were sitting alongside of Wes and his friends. As I approached, I could see Wes' long strawberry blond hair whipping along in the wind, framing his face just perfectly. My knees went weak and I almost turned back but Ashley took my hand to pull me forward.

"Hey, Jaiden! Hey, Ashley!" Wes called out from the picnic table he was sitting at alongside his friends. I smiled at him and felt a blush rising up on my cheeks. Oh please may it not be noticeable. I hoped as I grew closer to the table.

"Hey, babe." Cherri called out from a few yards away on a volleyball court. She motioned for Ashley to come over to her and Ashley gave me a look to ask if it was okay first. I nodded in response and she ran over to her girlfriend as I sat down at the table next to one of Wes' friends---Muhammad, I believe.

"Are those two dating?" Wes asked me as Cherri kissed Ashley on the lips. I have no idea why he needed to ask since most people don't kiss their friends on the lips.