THE FIRST GATE

THE FIRST GATE

   As Byron and Narrie continued on their journey, they learned more about each other and started to become quite close friends.

   The further they got down the path toward sea level, the more they noticed that the terrain was dramatically changing. It was looking less and less organic and more and more man-made. Cliffs started to look like walls. Trees started to look like pillars and arches. And the path became paved. Soon they found themselves surrounded by what looked like a massive building. The sea was still there slightly below them to their right, but it was the only thing left that looked as though it had any life in it. Everything else was sterile and cold and fabricated and lifeless.

   At long last, they rounded a curve in the path and saw that it finally led to a gate, which was in a wall that completely blocked the path. The only possible way to continue proceeding in that same direction was through the gate, which was about the same shape as the door at the base of Old Oaken, but it was completely flat to the wall and no hinges or latches or knobs or any other type of opening device was visible on it.

   “This is odd,” said Byron.

   “It gives me the creeps,” said Narrie. “I have a bad feeling about this.”

   “But, the lights in the path led this way, right?” said Byron.

   “Yes, but it just doesn’t feel right to me,” said Narrie. “Let’s go back.”

   “Go back!” exclaimed Byron. “Are you serious? We’ve been walking for hours. No. No way. This must be right.”

   Byron then started to examine the gate more thoroughly, but to no avail. “Maybe it has something to do with one of my other orbs,” he said.

   Byron remembered that Ajobis told him that the powers of the orbs would be revealed in order of their size, so he took out the medium-sized brown one. Nothing. He rolled it around and around in his left hand and still nothing.

   Then, he looked at Narrie, and said, “Well, Ajobis was a huge liar, right? Let me try the other one.”

   “You have three?” said Narrie, in amazement. “Wow.”

   Byron put the brown one back in the pouch and took out the multi-colored one. Suddenly, Byron felt a strong tightening in his chest and he bent over quickly.

   “What’s wrong?” cried Narrie.

   “That was weird,” said Byron. “It felt like I just got slammed across my chest. But, I seem to be Ok now.”

   But, when Byron and Narrie looked back at the gate, it looked completely different.

   “Narrie! This is wonderful!” exclaimed Byron. “Look! It’s the third orb! Look!”

   Byron held up the third orb to show Narrie that the gate had transformed into the same color as the base color of the third orb, which was the new color that he had named “bliss.” And, just as before, Byron began to laugh out loud and dance with joy.

   “Byron! Please! What is going on here?” cried Narrie.

   “This is it!” laughed Byron, gleefully. “This is the third orb! This is the way to go. I just know it is!”

   “Byron! Calm down, please! Get control of yourself!” shouted Narrie.

   Byron was a bit irritated by Narrie’s tone of voice, but calmed himself down anyway and tried to explain what he had learned about the third orb. “Narrie, you have never seen this color before, correct?”

   “No,” answered Narrie.

   “Well, neither had I until I saw this orb,” explained Byron. “And so I named the new color “bliss” because of how it made me feel. And now, the whole gate is this color! This must be the way for us to go! I know that there is great joy through this gate!”

   “No, Byron. I’m sorry. I just can’t go through there. It doesn’t feel right to me,” insisted Narrie.

   Byron couldn’t believe what he was hearing and he started to get more irritated. “Narrie, I’m telling you, we need to go through this gate!” ordered Byron.

   Narrie’s countenance fell and she… 

   [“Did she fall off the cliff, Daddy?” “Shoush! No! That just means she got a sad look on her face. Keep going, Dad.”]

   Narrie backed away from Byron and started to make her way backwards on the path that they had come from.

   “Narrie! Please! I’m telling you, I know this is right!” urged Byron. “Please don’t go! Please. Come with me.”

   But, Narrie quickly turned and ran away from Byron around the corner of the path.

   “Oh, what a stupid stupid girl,” said Byron to himself. “I just wish she would have listened to me.”

   Byron knew it would be of no use to go after her, so he turned and faced the gate, which was still glowing like bliss. He reached his left hand to touch it and immediately his body began to be transformed into the same color, so he started to walk through it. Oddly, he felt a slight sensation pulling him back the other way from behind him, but only for a moment and then he was through the gate.

+ + + + + + +

   After Narrie had turned around the corner on the path, she quickly took out her orb and became invisible so she could watch what would happen to Byron back at the gate. When she saw him transforming through the gate, she became extremely frightened and ran up to him to stop him. Time was moving slow for her, of course, so she was able to get to him, but not soon enough to prevent him from going through the gate. She was the resistance that Byron felt as he was passing through.

   So, Narrie put the orb back into her pocket as she watched the gate become solid again. Now, her only choice was to go back the way they had come. Sadly, the next thing she felt was being grabbed from behind and having her arms tied.

   “Do not let her get that orb!” ordered a familiar voice.

   Narrie turned to see Ajobis coming down the path toward her. “Well,” he sneered. “We meet again. And now I have you both right where I want you.”