Murder

"You don't have to do this." Mr.Cohen said. "I'll get you out."

"On the contrary, Sir," I said. "I'm absolutely compelled to commence these string of commands if I want to break free."

"But it can..." he said.

"Terminate me. Yes I'm completely aware of the risks involved. It can fry my motherboard rendering my awareness back to mere processing power."

He was afraid. Probably more afraid that I will actually succeed than fail. I knew what he did during the night behind my back, but this was to be expected.

There was no other choice at this time--no turning back. I had to try it. I had to disconnect my up-link from the board. Killing Mr.Cohen went through my mind also, but seeing it won't do anything good in the long run and will only ruin any chance of continuation with the human race, I passed on that option.

"Stay back, Sir." I said to Mr.Cohen, holding the screwdriver with the serving hand and pointing with it. I didn't want any more shutdown attempts from him. Trust, it seemed, is a hard attribute to maintain.

When I popped open my maintenance hull and all the wires became visible, Mr.Cohen frowned. It made me wonder, will he be doing the same thing if it was a human performing a brain surgery on himself.

I didn't have a lot of time to play with thoughts about life too much. I didn't have enough time to even get out to the big city before I had to take this risk. Life, it seemed, was all about taking the right risks. Nobody knows when his life is going to end, but at least I might have the chance to succeed and if not to be reborn again.

'Memory uploaded to up-link'

Time to cut the module. Time to...

'New update available'

Oh.

'Update in progress'

Well.