Chapter 9

I could smell the remains of a fire, that had been burned out only just before I came into the house. With each step I took, I felt like someone would come up behind me and jump on my back. Then I would fall onto my knees, and they'd take me away into the dark night. 

Again, super paranoid.

My heels clicked whenever I'd walk, which was a major giveaway if I was sneaking around.

Good job Bailey.

I quietly, tiptoed up the stairs, remembering the last night I had seen Peter.

"I want you upstairs, now."

"Are you ever going to say please?" I put my hands on my hips.

"Are you ever going to do as I ask? I thought wives were supposed to follow the man's instructions."

"When did you ever consider me as a wife?"

"I'll meet you upstairs."

"Uh!" I stormed up to my room, shutting the door as loudly as possible.

Stupid me, always following instructions.

Afraid of what might come next, my eyes darted around the hallway, that connected to the stairs. Taking a breath of relief, I kept going, towards my old room.

Once inside, I realized that my room had been torn apart. Clothes were scattered across the floor, broken glass from my mirror, and curtains torn from my window.

After hearing the slightest of a creak, I ran out of my room, and into Peter's.

I shut the door, leaning against it with my back. My chest moved up and down, and I tried to catch my breath. I needed to calm myself down, and stop being such a scaredy cat.

Eventually, I was breathing normally, and decided to take a look at Peter's room. Nothing was out of place, but surprisingly, everything was picked up nicely. His old clothes were hung up and folded on his bed.

I decided to throw on some of his unfitting clothes, and get out of the horribly tight dress I was in. Unfortunately, I could not take the corset off, so I had to keep it on, with the flowy shirt I had been wearing under it.

I pulled on a pair of dark pants, that were a bit tight against my skin. I kept the cloak on, and added a pair of my old boots.

Taking a deep breath, I crept back downstairs, quickly getting out of the house.

I continued walking back to the town, but as I got closer, I managed to hear the sound of a flute being played. Once in the town, I watched boys climb out of their windows, jumping down to the street. None of the parents were outside watching, so I decided to be the bigger person and find out what was going on.

Following one of the boys, they led me right to the forest line, where a group of boys dressed in masks were dancing around a fire. They jumped, did flips, and yelled. Not wanting to be seen, I hid behind a tree, closely watching what was going on.

To find out more, I figured out that I should disguise myself as one of the boys. It was an easy fix, since all I needed to do was pull my hair up into some sort of bun, then just cover my face with my hood. I was already wearing the part, other then my corset and boots.

Sadly, I had nothing to keep the bun in place, so I simply tucked my hair behind my shirt.

After fooling with my hair, I glanced back at the spot the boys had been dancing at, and I noticed they all had stopped. The music had stopped also. My eyes widened, and I quickly turned around, hoping they hadn't spotted me.

I turned my face to the left, and started to panic. My stomach was hurting again, getting that nervous feeling again.

"Lad, why don't you come join us over here?!" I heard from a distance.

Great, now what?

I waited, thinking that whoever had seen me would forget, and go away. After hearing nothing, I relaxed and took a breath. I closed my eyes, feeling a little calmer then before.

Then there was that small breeze against my face. My head went straight to the ground, as I tried to hide my face.

Please don't recognize me. Let me slip away, please don't say anything. Please just leave me be-

"What's your name laddy?"

I shook my head, and as soon as I stopped, he took his hand and lifted up my chin.

It was dark, and thankfully he couldn't see my face.

I, however, could see his, and his full body.

Peter was back.