Chapter 1

I woke up around noon, after a long night of cleaning up the house. The past few days had been stormy, and there was supposed to be a large one coming tonight.

I walked down the spiraling staircase, expecting to smell bread baking in the oven.

Peter would always bake a loaf of bread whenever it would storm, just in case we were about to run out of food. Since the past two days were made up of storms, he made them every morning.

Today, I was confused as I watched Peter pace around the parlor. 

"You okay?" I asked.

Peter looked up from the ground, his forest green eyes filled with worry. "Y-Yeah I'm fine." he seemed stressed, which I don't know why he would be. "Market's open today."

"Oh good. Are you going with me?"

"No," he said in a firm voice.

"Did you make-" I attempted to start another conversation but he brushed past me, climbing the stairs. I whipped around, closely watching him as he turned into his room. Peter slammed the door shut with a loud creak.

I ran up the stairs, wanting to see what was wrong.

Knocking on his door, I heard him shuffling around the room. "Don't come in! I'm changing!"

I narrowed my eyebrows, "I thought you weren't going to the market!"

"I'm not!" I waited for him to finish his response but I heard nothing.

"Is there a list of anything you want?" I asked quietly.

The door creaked open as Peter came out. He was wearing dark pants, a brown shirt, a dark green scarf, and brown cloak. He shoved a folded piece of paper in front of me, forcing me to take it out of his hands.

"Thanks," I muttered going into my room to get changed.

*****

I walked out of the house, wearing a creme dress, with brown corset, and darker pink apron. I carried my basket that I kept all the goodies in so that I could buy what was on our list.

As the town came into sight, I watched as people gathered around booths for fruit, jewelry, and much more. I spotted one of my friends and raced over to greet them.

"Bailey!" a woman dressed in a cream gown, and purple apron ran to hug me. She was old and had gray hair, wrapped into a braid that hung over her left shoulder.

"Hey!" we hugged then walked over to her booth that was full of clothing.

"I haven't seen you around town lately. Peter's been around but have you been?" she started setting a few folded shirts onto a table.

"Peter's been in town?" I placed my basket on a chair behind the booth, beginning to help the woman.

"Yes! He's been quite sneaky lately, going off into the woods, most likely traveling to the palace or something. I even heard he's been going off to another town collecting knives."

"Knives? That doesn't seem right."

A customer came looking through some of the dresses. "Hello Caroline!" the customer said happily.

"Good afternoon Alice! How are the kids?"

"Just fine!"

Caroline looked to me, then started to stare past me, at the dirt road that led to my home. "There he is now."

I slightly turned around, watching Peter walk down the path.

"Is he shopping also?" she asked.

I slowly shook my head no, a bit confused on where he was going.

"Aren't you going to say hi?"

"He was in a bad mood when I left." I kept watching him as he got closer and closer towards the booth. "Maybe he is coming with me." I gave him a smile and a small wave. He ignored me, walking fast past the booth and going straight towards his friend, Felix.

"He's been with that kid all week," Caroline whispered.

I shrugged and looked at the list Peter had given me or shoved in front of my face. Whatever you want to call it.

-Wolf Hides

-Dried Berries

-Lemons

-Make sure to get the money from Thomas, he owes me.

-Frannie has chicken and duck ready at her house.

I already paid her so just go pick it up for tonight or something.

"Wolf hides?" I questioned his request.

"Howard's selling them." Caroline pointed across the market, showing me a booth filled with skins and furs. "He bought some of 'em in Greensburg."

I nodded, still watching Peter as he would glance back at me then quickly turn back around. "Well I better get going, I need to get whatever is on this list." Caroline laughed, and I went on my way.

I walked around the market, carefully spying on Peter, who was still talking to Felix. Everything had been crossed off the list but getting the money from Thomas.

Felix and Peter were standing right in front of Thomas' house. I took a deep breath and started towards the door. As I got closer to Peter, I intentionally bumped into him.

When I didn't apologize, Peter grabbed my wrist, pulling me back towards him. The shock of him grabbing me forced me to drop the basket I had been holding. It fell to the ground, everything scattering on the dirt.

"Peter!" I screamed. "Why would you-?!"

Quickly, he covered my mouth with his hand, so that I could not speak. "Quiet."

My eyes led me to Felix, who was giving me an evil looking smirk. Peter slowly removed his hand from my mouth, then pointed at the door. "He won't let me have the money, so I'm going to need you to charm him, flirt... I honestly don't care. Just get that money."

You see, this was the first of many things he made me do for him. Later on in life, Peter forces others to do things for him, that he can't do.

If he wants something, he will get it.

So, being the naive girl I was, I followed Peter's selfish demands and knocked on the front door.