Chapter 24: Threat

It had been a few days since Kurenai and her squad left on their mission. While Riko was greatly enjoying her time with Gaara, she was also starting to get worried about her adoptive mother.

"Something on your mind?"

Gaara asked her, noticing the change in her expression. They were both taking a night stroll down the streets of Sunagakure, hand in hand. Riko nodded slowly.

"What is it?"

Riko wrote "Mama" on a piece of paper.

"It has been a while..."

They were now close to Sunagakure's entrance. Riko sighed while looking through to the infinite desert surrounding the village. Something then caught her eye in the distance. She squinted to focus on the black dot that suddenly appeared and was getting closer.

"Ah..."

She pointed to Gaara at the dot in the distance. He looked at the direction Riko was pointing at.

"Something is getting closer..."

As the dot got closer, the figure was getting clearer, revealing the silhouette of a person. Riko was getting a really bad feeling. She wanted to get to that person as fast as possible. Without putting any more thought into it, she let go of Gaara's hand and ran towards the person in the distance.

"Riko...!"

After recovering from the shock he got from her actions, Gaara hurried after her. The shinobi that were guarding the entrance of the village started running after them as well.

"Hey! You two! Come back here!"

Riko ignored everyone who was coming after her, completely focusing on the person in front of her. Due to her powers, she was much faster than everyone else behind her and was able to make it to the person in mere seconds. That was when she recognized who it was. It was a member of Kurenai's squad. Not only that, but he was bleeding profusely from grave injuries.

"Ah!"

"R... Riko..."

Not wasting any time, Riko wrapped the man's arm around her shoulder, helping him walk and healing him at the same time. Gaara had finally caught up to her, along with the Sunagakure shinobi.

"Let me carry him, Riko."

Gaara used his sand to create a platform under Riko and the man, transporting both of them.

"Let's hurry back to the village."

One of the Sunagakure shinobi said, sensing the emergency of the situation. While on the platform that Gaara was moving, Riko laid the man on the sand and proceeded to heal him. By the time they got back to the village, his major wounds were all under control. He was then rushed to the hospital, Riko and Gaara in tow. Riko was allowed into the emergency room with the Konohagakure shinobi, while Gaara waited for her outside.

When the Sunagakure medics tried to get close to the injured shinobi, they were met with an invisible impenetrable barrier that Riko had put up to keep distractions out of her way until she could take care of the man. In just a bit less than an hour, she was finally able to stabilize him completely. Regaining his consciousness, the shinobi slowly opened his eyes and looked at Riko.

"Riko... Kurenai... and the rest are in danger... I was able to escape only because the enemy let me..."

Riko held his hand within hers, giving him the energy to keep talking.

"They... That group is after you."

Riko's eyes widened. Why were there people after her?

"They told me to come... and tell you where they were. If you don't get there by tomorrow night... they said that they'd execute everyone they're holding hostage."

Riko gasped.

"They want you... to go alone... But it's too dangerous..."

Riko's heart was beating fast. She was scared. She was scared, but she couldn't just abandoned Kurenai and the others. Whoever these people that were after her were, she knew that she had to go and face them. Riko then scribbled the words 'Tell me where they are' and showed them to the shinobi.

"So... you've decided to go... I won't stand in your decision. Here."

He reached within one of his pockets and handed Riko a piece of paper with the whereabouts of the enemy. Riko looked at the paper. She then got up, hid the paper and left the room. As soon as she got out, Gaara ran up to her.

"Riko! Is he alright?"

Riko nodded. Gaara then noticed how she had a grave expression on her face.

"What's wrong?"

Riko shook her head, trying to hide the tears that were threatening to come out. She was so scared and so worried, but she knew that, if Gaara knew what she was planning to do, he wouldn't let her go alone. This, she knew, would put everyone's life in danger, including his. If this enemy was powerful enough to take on a squad of top-class Jounin and Chunin, then they were not to be messed with.

As Riko tried to walk away, Gaara held her arm, keeping her from walking off.

"Riko. What is it?"

Riko then shook his arm off and ran away. She hated doing that, but it was all for the best.

Gaara, hurt by how she was acting, decided to seek answers with the man in the emergency room. When he got in, the medics all tried to get out of his way, still harbouring fear of him. The man was still conscious, thankfully.

"Tell me. What's going on? Why did Riko run off?"

The shinobi averted Gaara's eyes. Feeling rage rising up within him, Gaara grabbed the man by his collar.

"Tell me!"

His voice was menacing. The man shook from the anger in Gaara's eyes.

"T-They said to lead Riko to them! I had no choice! I-If she didn't go, they would've killed everyone else! P-Please, forgive me!"

Gaara's eyes widened. Riko was in danger and he knew that he couldn't lose another second.

"Where are they?!"

The man told him where they were hiding. For a normal person, it would take half a day to reach. Considering Riko's powers, it would take her much less time. Without a second thought, Gaara set out after her.