Chapter 20: Without Giving Up

Her heart was beating faster as she desperately tried to reach Gaara. He was suffering and she didn't want him to suffer. Riko remembered just how gentle and kind he was with her when they spent the day together before the last exam. She told him that they'd meet the next day, but it didn't happen. She felt as though it was her fault for not looking hard enough. If she had, then maybe he would've been so much happier.

Riko was steadily getting closer to Gaara and Kankuro, dashing through the air, as if there was no gravitational force affecting her. Sensing someone, Kankuro glanced behind him. The sight left him in shock. The mute girl was flying straight at them.

"Ah!"

Riko exclaimed as she reached out her hand towards Gaara. Recognizing her voice, Gaara felt his heart squeeze.

"Stop..."

He said to Kankuro, weakly.

"But Gaara...!"

"I said stop!"

He shouted at his teammate. Kankuro, afraid of Gaara, did as he said and landed on a tree branch. Gaara then shoved him away, then turned towards Riko who was now standing on the branch right behind him. He was clenching the wound that Sasuke had inflicted on him.

"You... What do you want?"

His voice resembled an angry growl.

"Mm..."

Riko whimpered as she attempted to get closer. Gaara then screamed.

"No! Stay away! Don't take a single step forward!"

His words sounded so hateful that it immediately stopped Riko in her tracks. Tears then uncontrollably starting falling down her eyes. She didn't know why he suddenly hated her so much. She couldn't stand it. It was too painful. Riko had never felt that kind of pain before and she wanted it to stop. But she didn't know what to do.

Gaara was blinded by rage and pain. There was also fear. Fear of what was about to happen. What lied deep within him was about to come out. He was afraid of what it would cause. To make things even worse, Riko was there too. She would see his terrifying ugliness. He didn't want her to see him like this. He was sure that she would start hating and fearing him just like how everyone else did. He couldn't live with the thought of not feeling her warm kindness again. He was going to lose her just like how he lost everyone else who was precious to him. He had thought that if he distanced himself that he would become emotionless and indifferent again towards her, but it only made him realize how much he truly missed her.

"Get away! Go away!"

That was when Riko noticed the desperation hidden within his voice. However, before she could do anything, Sasuke jumped passed her, and attacked. Gaara's sand then immediately blocked him. Temari then caught up as well and stood defensively next to Gaara.

Riko stayed where she was, her knees shaking. She was scared, not knowing how to deal with the situation. She'd never been so close to the action. She saw how Sasuke was attacking Gaara with the intention to kill him. Gaara's sand was shielding him, but he didn't seem very in control of the situation. He was holding his head in both his hands and was groaning in pain.

"Gaara...! Gaara, hang on!"

Temari sounded worried for him. Riko was also worried. Gaara wasn't acting normal at all.

"Shut up!"

He shouted as he powerfully shoved Temari away, causing her to hit a nearby tree and faint from the impact. Riko let out a gasp, worrying about the Sunagakure kunoichi. Gaara then started to chuckle. His chuckle then mixed with screams of pain and insane laughter. Sasuke had pulled back on his attack, waiting for the right moment to strike.