Chapter Three: Burger Joint

Start from the beginning

She was still in cloud nine when we met up with Tristan in the parking lot. I seriously had to walk in front of her just in case she wanted to place her name in shame. I could at least act as a barrier between these two, with the grin she was giving, she couldn’t believe her luck.

Tristan was still oblivious of her crush on him. He didn’t know that whenever he teased Kyla, she falling for him harder than ever.

When we reached a burger joint, Tristan instantly ducked behind us, as if the two of us could hide his huge body.

I knew why he was hiding behind two girls who was a head shorter than him – half of the basketball team was there, having the time of their lives.

He should thank the lucky stars that Jasper was hanging out with his sister right now, he wasn’t there to see us. My stomach was growling but I knew I had to do the right thing.

“Join them,” I told him, turning my head to look at him, “I’m pretty sure my mom already made dinner .”

Even with the sullen look, Kyla nodded her head in agreement to my encouragement. She knew what would happen if anybody saw us hanging out.

Tristan looked torn on what to do, he’s a good kid and his reputation doesn’t deserve to be tarnished just because he worked at the same café that I do.

“See you tomorrow at school,” I turned from him, holding Kyla’s hand while I dragged her along with me. Her walking was slow but I understood why, we just passed up the opportunity to dine with her crush.

Just as we were out of the door, it swung open to reveal the guy I’ve been bumping into much lately today.

Is it me or this had been the most interaction we had in a day for three years?

When he noticed me, we just stared up at each other. We’ve been doing that a lot.

Surprisingly, he nodded at me before presenting me with a simple, “Hello.”

Kyla froze, my jaw dropped, Tristan paled, and the basketball team who just realized that their captain was there all stared at him like he grew a second head.

Clearing my throat, I finally allowed myself to speak and say something that wouldn’t end myself up in embarrassment, “Hello.”

He threw another nod before he went around us and to the booth where all his teammates was packed in to. Tristan slowly followed his steps but his eyes were trained on me, switching to Jasper then right back at me.

I was as confused as he was.

When we were outside, Kyla snatched her arm away from my grasp and stepped right in front of me, “Something did happen outside the café.”

It wasn’t a question, it was a statement. A very accusing statement, but she was correct.

I tried to walk around her but every step I make, she mirrors it, making sure that I didn’t escape her accusing gaze. With an annoyed stomp, I sighed at her, “Kyla.”

She grabbed my hand as she proceeded to march to her car, “We’re going to your house, grab some food, lock ourselves in your bedroom while you tell me every single detail.”

I didn’t bother to argue because I knew she would end up having her way. That’s Kyla Bailey for you, she’ll squeeze every single detail out of your crushed soul.

Pushing the front door open, we peeked inside the kitchen to see if the food is ready. Sure enough, my mother was already transferring food into individual plates.

“We’re home, mom,” I greeted, approaching her. She glanced our way before smiling at us, placing down the empty pan, she wiped her hands on a dishtowel before walking up to us.