Chapter 11Peek-a-boo

Lilac looked at the grassy floor and found a small pile of leaves moving slightly from one side to the other. She knelt down on her knees and slowly brushed the leaves revealing a bloody Adria who was not frightened by being in a dark forest surrounded by biters. Diane was nowhere to be found and no noise was made to justify her still being alive. Lilac picked her baby up and walked back the way they came not stopping to talk about if they want to look for Diane. As for Jon and Mike they only walked as far as the Hy-Vee and began another fight, they then turned back around to find the car was missing along with their supplies. Josh and Lilac walked carefully back to the road making sure they don't trigger any near by roamers. Jon and Mike sat on the cold road and stared at the buildings that sat before them hoping that Dan would return with the car soon. Finally Lilac and Josh made it back to the main road and found Jon sleeping and Mike sharpening one of his knives.

"Where's Diane?" Mike asked quietly.

"We don't know, we found Adria under a pile of leaves, maybe she was being chased, or what if she just left because she didn't want to be with us or..." Lilac trailed of when she noticed that Jon was staring and had been listening to her.

"What?" Jon said.

"Diane is somewhere in the woods Jon, I'm sorry." She said.

"Why can't we just go back and look for her, she's my damn mother!" Jon kicked his backpack, "C'mon, let's go find her."

"Jon we can't, it's dark and we have a baby that can't be in the cold anymore tonight, let's just go find a place to sleep and look tomorrow." Lilac said.

"Um actually we can't look for her tomorrow." Mike said, Lilac and Jon were confused, why was mike objecting? "We need to look for Dan, he's missing to."

"Your brother is not missing, he took the car and is probably sleeping safe and sound in some bed, unlike my mother who is fifty years old, she will die out there." Jon stood up and approached Mike, chest puffed out and fist clenched.

"Your mom was dead wait anyway, acting all tough but when a single roamer decides to even turn a corner she's off running scared, that's why she's out there."

"What about your brother, where is he. Your brother is fucking dead wait too!" Jon shoved Mike back raising his voice.

"Don't you fucking touch me you ass!" Mike shoved Jon harder causing him to fall on his butt. Jon picked himself back up and ran toward Mike getting ready to throw a punch. Jon's fist pounded against Mikes big, muscular chest; not causing any pain to Mike but only a cramping pain in Jon's knuckles. Mike looked down at Jon; who was holding his fist; then threw a punch to his face, Jon felt the large fist hit his face and could feel his jaw move out as the rest of his face follows after. Once more Jon was on the floor with not only a sore hand but also a throbbing face. Mike spat at Jon and began to kick him, his back, ribs, and face where now all in pain. Lilac ran over to MIke and began to hit his back in an attempt to stop the brutal beating but Mike wasn't affected by it.

"Get off of him, leave him alone, you're killing him!" She screamed.

"Let 'em die, he bad mouthed my baby brother." Mike shoved Lilac off of him pushing her into Josh's arms.

"Josh stop him!" Lilac said through tears and short, fast paced breathing.

"Sorry Miss, Ol' Mike aint gonna stop until Jon learns a lesson." Josh said.

"But what would your mother think, she didn't raise you like this, she taught you to be respectful and nice. What would she think if she saw this." Lilac looked at Josh who was looking at Mike and Jon. Josh let go of Lilac and motioned her to sit beside Adria, he walked slowly to his brother, his whole body shaking.