Chapter 2, Jane

Jane stood in the kitchen doorway and watched as Jon fixed Lilacs hand, her face throbbing in the places that Lilac hit her. She walked to the bathroom to wash her face and get rid of the blood, but when she walked into the room she saw the shower curtains move. She pushed her back up to the wall and threw her knife towards the curtain, the knife sliced the curtain open and hit whatever was in the shower. She heard a loud scream and pushed the curtain open and was happy to see that it was a racoon.

    “Guys I got dinner for us!” she yelled beginning to skin the fur off. She held the racoon up by the tail and walked out to the kitchen to show everyone her prize but when she walked in  she saw Jon and Lilac kissing, she dropped the racoon and crossed her arms across her chest.

    “Um, I’d hate to break this little kiss fest up but I just killed a raccoon and I’m pretty sure we are all hungry.” Jane walked into the kitchen and pushed Lilac out of the way and handed Jon the raccoon.

    “Here you go, I caught it just for you.” she said smiling and standing on her toes to get just about the same height with him.

    “Thanks, I’ll start cooking then.” he put two finger on his forehead and saluted, then walked to the backyard to start cooking.

    “Jane, what do you think you’re doing” Lilac said holding her hand on Janes shoulder and turning her around so that they face each other.

    “What do you mean, I’m not doing anything.” Jane said, then she skipped to the backyard.

Lilac knew what was going on, this had happened before, but she was hoping that it was just a coincidence.

When Jane got to the backyard she saw Jon sitting up in the lookout in the tree and thought it was a good idea to keep him company. She climbed the tree very quietly hoping to sneak up on him, but he was sitting on the floor, facing the entrance.

“Hey Jane” he said

“Dang, you saw me, I was going to sneak up on you.” she said

“Oh, well you’re gonna have to try harder next time.” He said cocking a half smile

“So, what are you doing up here, alone?” She said, taking a seat next to him

“Just standing watch, why are you out here?” he said, turning his body to face her

“Lilac is driving me up a wall, she’s crazy.” she said while holding her hands to her head making it look as if she was trying to hold her ears so she wouldn’t have to hear anything.

“Well, I don’t think she’s crazy, she’s just different.” he said.

“No Jon, she is crazy.” she said placing her hand on his knee.

“How do you know, you don’t even know her?” He said.

“Poor, naive little Jon, she must not have told you yet” she said.

“What do you mean?” His eyebrows narrowing.

“My mom and dad adopted her when she was just a kid, but the orphanage told us some things about her” she said,

“Like what” he said

“Well, she talks to herself, well wait no she actually talks to ‘people’ when in reality no one is there.’’ she said

“What happened to her real parents, why was she up for adoption?” he asked

“The orphanage owner said that she was a main suspect for the murder of her family, but they arrested the neighbor who was doing crack, but I know she did it, she killed her parents” she said. Jon looked to the sliding glass window and noticed Lilac standing, watching. Jane stood up to look over the watchtower wall but instantly sat back down. “Don’t stand up” she whispered, pulling on Jon’s shirt and moving closer to him.