Chapter 1

Blood soaked sheets

    Lilac walked out of the old living room lined with a mustard yellow floral wallpaper, and plastic covered furniture. She walked down the dark hallway, stepping over broken glass from old photo frames that were knocked to the floor. She stopped in her tracks when she noticed an unbroken photo frame, she kneeled down to get a better look, it was a family photo; a mom smiling ear to ear. Lilac studied the photo, it was a family of four dressed in what looked like satin dresses and cotton suits. There was the mother, the father, and two kids, the mother had an uptight bun to pull back her gold locks, she was smiling but wasn’t all at once. Her eyelids were dusted with a powder blue eyeshadow and her thin, dry lips had a layer of pink gloss on them. On her ears hung diamond studs that sparkled as Lilac looked at them, her shirt was a silky black, button up. She was sitting in a chair with her legs crossed so delicately that if you touched her it would look as though she would break. Her husband was standing behind her with his large hand lying on her shoulder, his black hair was greased back and he had a well trimmed mustache. Just under the mustache was a dull expression, he was not smiling, he was just looking at the camera as if he was in a boring conversation that he was waiting for the end of. His suit was a dark black that almost blended with the back wall they were in front of, his white collar stood out ever so slightly adding a bit of comfort to Lilac as she continued to study the family. The two kids, both girls, one looked younger than the other, they were wearing matching white dresses with a black ribbon tied into a bow lying delicately on their stomachs. The two girls were both wearing a pearl necklace the showed through the large amount of brown, wavy hair.

Lilac took the photo out of the frame and folded it into four equal parts and placed it in her pocket. She stood up placing her hands down in front of her for support, not realizing that there was still a large amount of glass on the floor. She felt tiny prickes in her hand and could feel the warmth of her blood run down from the cuts of her hand. When she was all the way up on her feet she brought her hands up to see how bad it was, the blood had stopped shortly after she had gotten up.

“Jon I need your help for a minute,” Jon came walking out of the kitchen, the moonlight shining in from the windows hit his face ever so perfectly, making Lilacs stomach turn in circles. Jon was a tall boy, 6 foot to be exact.

“What is it Lilac, did you find something?” he asked. Lilac just stood there admiring his dark grey eyes that would glisten in the moonlight, he pushed his hair out of his face revealing his face completely.”Lilac, what did you call me for?” he asked again, Lilac was finally snapped out of her trance and held her blood soaked hands out causing some glass to fly out of the loose wounds. His eyes widened as he rushed over to Lilac, “what did you do?” Jon said, she could here the worry in his voice.

“I was standing up and when I placed my hands on the ground-” she was cut of by sharp pain, it was Jon pulling out pieces of glass from her hand, Lilac let out a loud scream and jerked her hand back. “Hey, that hurts”

“Sorry, but this glass can’t live in your hand” Jon said while laughing a bit, Lilac could tell that he was trying to lighten the mood. When the last piece of glass was removed from Lilac’s hand, Jon started to lead her to the kitchen. The linoleum floor was sticky, the table was covered with old newspapers dating back to the 60’s, the fridge was open exposing the the meats to the hot and humid Florida afternoons causing a horrible smell.”Give me your hands.” Jon demanded

“Oh Johnny, I get all tingly when you take control like that.” Lilac said laughing a bit. When she noticed that Jon wasn’t laughing she held her hands out and did as Jon told her. He reached over to the rusty metal faucet handle and turned it to the side causing water to flow and the sink to emit a metalic smell. Jon took Lilacs hand and laid them under the cold water. She winced at the pain, then let the cooling relief wash over her, watching the blood travel from her hand to the sink drain. The deep red turned to just clear water and Jon turned the water off. He ripped of his sleeve from his ratty old shirt and softly wrapped her hand.