A new beginning part 7

"You're supposed to hate me, love," Klaus said, "so what made you decide that you wanted to go to New Orleans with me?"

"Im bored," Elena replied, "I want to go to other places, see new stuff."

"And what about your bodyguards? Will the Salvatores be joining us too?" Klaus raised an eyebrow at the doppelgänger.

Elena shook her head. "Just you and me," she replied earning a smile from Klaus. "So what do you say?"

Klaus looked down and then looks up at Elena. "I'll pick you up from your house at 10."

--- -- -- --

"You're going somewhere?" Elena looked up from her luggage to see Caroline standing in her doorway. She must've been so busy packing that she didn't hear the door slam.

"Caroline, what are you doing here?"

"You haven't answered my question," Caroline said, "Stefan didn't tell me you and Damon were going somewhere. He did tell me you got your memories of Damon back so I wanted to see how you were doing."

Elena sighed, "I'm not going anywhere with Damon," she confirmed.

"What? Then where are you going?"

"I just need some time alone, Caroline," Elena lied, "I'm not going with anybody."

Caroline looked at Elena. She knew that Elena was lying. Elena Gilbert has boys lining down the street for her, there is no way she would go on a vacation alone. Things have been a little rocky between the two of them because when Caroline found out about Elena and Damon, she flat out admitted that she didn't like the two of them together, nor did she like this new vampire Elena. Caroline knew that the memory was still very fresh on both girls minds, "Fine," Caroline said, not wanting to push any further. "Have fun on your trip."

Elena sighed. She should have been honest with Caroline about Klaus but if Caroline had flipped out about her dating Damon, what would she say if Elena told her she was going with Klaus, even just as friends?

A few minutes later, Klaus arrives. He knocks on the door and when he sees Elena, he can immediately tell something was wrong. The drive to New Orleans was 8 hours and they stopped at a local restaurant to rest on the way there. Neither have them have said anything to each other on the drive there but they have exchanged glances. When their food arrives, Elena pokes around her food, obviously thinking about something. Klaus sighs as he decides to break the ice.

"What's wrong, love?" He asked, "if you think you made a mistake coming here wth me, I'll drive you back. I won't be mad, love"

Elena shook her head, "no," she said. Klaus breaths a sigh of relief.

"Care to explain why you want to go to New Orleans?" Elena raises an eyebrow at Klaus.

"Like you care? I needed a break from mystic falls and you were going to New Orleans."

"Don't you think I need more of an explanation, love? I think I deserve one. After all, I'm your knight in shining armor saving you from Boring Falls." Elena laughed at the last part and Klaus smiled from seeing Elena laugh. It was the first real laugh he had seen from her in a while and thinking about the last time she had laughed brought back the pain from compelling her to forget their time together.

 It was the first real laugh he had seen from her in a while and thinking about the last time she had laughed brought back the pain from compelling her to forget their time together