Chapter 6: Darkness on the Edge of Town

(Saturday)
(September 9, 2017)
(Attwater Carnival)
(1:00 A.M.)

Crowds of people sit on benches, laying their heads on something in exhaustion. The sounds of arcade machines and laughter is void throughout the carnival. Chaos has consumed the area, people in panic. Police cars surround the carnival area, their lights flashing a bright blue and red. Allison stands wandering, viewing the scene of the crime. AJ is conversing with his group of popular teenagers, each of them looking distraught over the recent events while Cece and Paige sit on a nearby bench, taking in the entire scene from afar.

Paige views the entire scene, almost as if she is analyzing the crime scene itself. Cece leans her body on the bench, hugging herself tightly for comfort. While she is not sobbing her eyes out, occasional teardrops run down her face.

Cece: "She's really dead... Isn't she..."

Paige stares in awe at the crime scene. Contrary to Cece's facial expressions, Paige seems to quite enjoy this spectacle. Her face lights up with enthusiasm.
Paige: "Gosh, I never thought this day would come..."
She takes out a pen and notepad from her pocket and begins to jot down on the piece of paper. Cece glances over at her, offended by her actions.

Cece: "You're seriously writing at a time like this?"

Clicking her red ballpoint pen, she smirks at Cece and winks.

Paige: "A girl's gotta get her story somehow."

Paige begins to rapidly jot down information in her notepad. She mutters to herself aloud the words she writes. Cece, aware of her speaking her thoughts aloud, decides to let Paige continue her thought process. She sighs as Paige continues to excitedly speak and write.

Paige: "Vanessa Windemear, Queen Bee and Mayor's daughter, meeting her demise at the town carnival on the twentieth anniversary of the Attwater Massacre..."

A familiar voice interrupts Paige's complex train of thoughts. The voice is of a boy's, in his teenage years. Approaching from the crowd of police cars is Andrew Bizaal, wearing a gray knit cap on his head.

Drew: "Looks like someone's found a new head article."

He stands crossed armed in front of Paige, smirking at the two girls. Surprised by his sudden appearance, Paige loses focus of her writing. Frustration flows throughout her entire body, evident by the expression on her face. However, she puts on a smile and glances over at Drew. Cece seems to be quite surprised by his appearance too and whispers into Paige's ear.

Cece: "It's that loner kid..."

Paige whispers back to her, attempting to not let Drew in on their current conversation.

Paige: "His name is Drew."

She then waves at Drew as he stands in front of them.

Paige: "Hey, where have you been all night?"

Drew raises his shoulders to the two girls as his hands are situated in the pockets of his black sweatshirt.

Drew: "Oh you know, just playing some Fallout 4 in my basement."

Paige: "So, you weren't at the carnival earlier?"