Chapter 4: The Game of Life

Continued from last chapter-

In a humorous tone, AJ says:

AJ: "Ayy! I have that game on my iPhone. Is that what we're discussing today?"

Mr. Wright shakes his head, humored by AJ's response.

Wright: "It's a subject I wanted to touch on in class."

He claps his hands loudly.

Wright: "Now, does anyone have an idea on what we're talking about today?"

The boy situated next to AJ mutters under his breath.

"To be quite frank, our life is in some ways like a game."

Mr. Wright's teacher super powers kick in once again. His attention is drawn towards him, very interested to hear what his input is.

Wright: "Well that's not what the route I was going for with this lesson... But interesting statement... Care to contribute to the discussion Andrew?"

Drew gulps, obviously not seeking attention.

Drew: "I mean... Do I have to? I'm not really one for talking and I'm sure the entire class doesn't want to hear me giving a mini-lecture."

Vanessa is focused filing her nails as she mutters.

Vanessa: "The more you geek out, the quicker we get out."

Raising his eyebrows, Mr. Wright gestures to Drew.

Wright: "Give it a shot. There's no wrong answer."

AJ mutters to Drew.

AJ: "They always say that..."

Drew clears his throat.

Drew: "Well, think about it this way. You, you're the player of the game. It's an ultimate game about managing resources and acute decision making. Every age and maturity level seem to be the levels and stages. Overall, the game has only one simple rule: don't die. Every game needs a little bit of randomness in it, and Death is the most definite random factor of this game. You could die at any moment. It's scary! Whether it be from an illness, coming of old age, or even... Murder. Whatever the case, the objective is simple: Make it through your entire life with happiness and success and you win. Fail to do so? Well, you've lost. Die, and it's game over for you, no restarts, no second chances, nothing. That's just the Game of Life. It's tougher than freaking Dark Souls."

AJ: "God, I haven't even beat that."

Drew shrugs. Mr. Wright slowly claps in delight as he leisurely sits in his chair.

Wright: "Very impressive Mr. Bizaal."

As Claire is texting on her phone, she notices something that catches her eyes.

Claire: "Did anyone else know about this Midnight Mayhem event happening on Friday night?"

Wright: "Yes, they're doing a carnival and game night."