Chapter 21

(Molly’s POV)

            I get in the cab and tell the cabbie my address. I was supposed to be on holiday, but my arrangements got messed up. Tom has to leave for a business trip tomorrow, so he couldn’t come with me. Excuses. That’s all they feel like now. He’s hiding something. I just know it.

            My phone trills a text alert, and I take it out, staring at the message.

            Your flat. Meet me there.

            -SH

            I stare at the text. Why does Sherlock want to meet me at my flat? Maybe he’s trying to get away from that Janine woman again. Well, since Tom is at home tonight, he can’t stay. Tom probably won’t like him even standing outside the flat. A few minutes go by and the cab pulls up outside of my flat.

            I pay the cabbie and get out. Sherlock is already waiting for me, leaning against a street lamp. I walk up to him. We stare at each other for a few minutes, waiting for the other to say something. I am the one to break the silence.

            “What are you doing here?” I ask him.

            “Something’s wrong.” Sherlock says.

            “With?”

            “Tom.”

            I wait a moment before I say anything. “Is he – is he okay?”

            “Go in.” Sherlock says.

            “Why?” I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

            “Just go.” Sherlock says.

            I open my mouth to say something, but the look of seriousness on his face stops me. I turn and walk into the building, walking up the stairs into my flat. When I open the door, I don’t understand what is going on. Then, I see Tom.

            I have to remind myself to breathe.

            Deep breathes, Molly. I think to myself. One. Two. Three.

            On the sofa, my sofa, Tom is snogging some blonde woman. They haven’t even noticed my entrance. After I calm myself down, and once their snogging seems to be going a bit…further, I cross my arms over my chest again.

            “Ahem.” I cleared my throat. They didn’t hear me. “Ahem.” This time, it’s louder.

            Tom’s eyes fly open as he quickly pulls back from the woman. The woman turns to look at me and her eyes widen. I can feel tears sting my eyes but I blink them back. I will not cry here.

            “Oh my god.” The woman said. She looked back at Tom. “Oh my god. What the hell, Tom?!”

            “Helen,” Tom said. “Let me expla–”

            The woman – Helen – looked over to me. “Who the hell are you?” She asked, tears falling from her eyes.

            “His fiancé,” I tell her.

            “You may want to leave, Helen,” A baritone voice says behind me. “Molly and Tom are about to have a domestic.” Sherlock sets a hand on my shoulder, and I look back at him, blinking more tears from my eyes. “I’ll be outside.” Sherlock turned and left.