Dancing On My Own

I stumbled over my feet as I tried to hunt down my pair of red heels.

I still didn't feel a hundred percent, my stomach hurt, my body ached, and despite everyone telling me otherwise, I didn't feel okay.

Brianna had suggested that it was all of the stress finally taking a toll on my body, Mom had said it was a bug that should be gone soon, and Cam. . . Cam didn't say a word.

I knew what he was thinking, because I was letting myself start to believe it too.

"You look better." Shay commented, entering my bedroom. I shrugged, lifting my head up and staring at her in the doorway for a second.

She looked amazing. Her hair had been pulled back into a perfect french braid that rested on her right shoulder, a few inches above the beautiful royal blue dress that hugged her waist and flared back out toward the bottom.

"Who are you going to Prom with anyway?" I questioned, blinking to clear my head. I didn't remember her even mentioning anyone had asked her.

"It's a surprise." She winked and stalked across my room to my bed. She crouched down and pulled my red heels from beneath it as if she were able to read my mind.

"How are you feeling?" She asked, diverting the subject back to me. I strapped my heels on, avoiding her questioning look.

"I still don't feel great, but I'm not letting Mom know that. She won't let me go if I do." She nodded.

"You don't think-" She started.

"I don't know, Shay. I don't want to think about it tonight. I just want to have fun." I stood up, flattening my dress back out as I walked over to my mirror across the room.

I smiled at my reflection, hoping it would liven me up a little. My face was ashen despite the make-up I'd thrown on an hour ago. My dark hair fell in ringlets around my face, falling on to my bare shoulders until it was against my black and crimson dress.

"You look great." Shay assured me, rubbing my arm, "But we better get going, the boys are waiting downstairs. With your Mom. Not good."

I agreed and followed her out of the room, keeping my focus on my feet and not tripping over my dress.

"Smile, girls!" Mom called up to us. Shay and I looked up in unison, blinking before getting blinded by the flash of Mom's camera.

Once we regained our sight, we headed down the stairs toward her. I met Cam's eyes halfway down, freezing me in place.

He had a look in his eyes that I hadn't seen in years, making his eyes an almost opaque green opposed to his usual hazel ones. His lips had curved up into a smile at the sight of us on the staircase, his hands wrapped around a small plastic box.

"Don't you girls looked beautiful!" Mom exclaimed, pulling us into a hug before snapping another picture.

I was able to escape her grip and made my way across the room to Cam, touching the bruise beneath his left eye that didn't seem to want to heal right.

"You look gorgeous, Blake." His lips grazed my cheek as he whispered in my ear, "I always fantasized about this night happening just like this, and it didn't even come close to this." He made a gesture toward my body before kissing my cheek.

"Thank you. . . I think?" I laughed, feeling his hands rest on either side of my waist.

"It was a compliment, I promise." I stopped him from kissing me, not wanting him to get sick if I was still contagious, and turned around to search the room for Shay's date. No other guy was here except Ray sprawled out along the loveseat.