Not Just Another Cliche

I sat on the edge of Jacob's bed, Cam sitting opposite of me with a blank look.

I couldn't remember how long we'd been sitting like this, face to face without saying a word. Cam had shifted a few times in his computer chair, his eyes drifting from me to the ground and continuing to do it until he finally decided to break the silence.

"Say something." He whispered.

"Why did you do it?" I responded.

"Do what? Kiss you?" He questioned, his head bowing seconds later.

"Not exactly. W. . . why did you kiss me like that?" I tugged at the bottom of my french braid, my eyes falling on to the red rug beneath the wheels of Jacob's computer chair.

"Like what?"

"Impulsively. Like you were acting on your emotions before you thought about them." I answered, realizing just how nervous I was when I caught a reflection of myself in his glasses.

The way he had his head turned, the light was bouncing off his glasses and reflecting my hunched over body in them.

"I knew I couldn't do it if I over thought it, Blake. I. . . I had to it, I had to see what your reaction would be. But I learned my lesson, I know-"

"I didn't pull away because I was repulsed by it, Cam." I cut him off, getting everything off my chest before I could talk myself out of it, "I pulled away because I was shocked, afraid. I didn't understand what was going on."

His head whipped up, his eyes widening behind his thick rimmed glasses. For a second I saw the Cam that I used to pass notes to in middle school, the Cam that always had some sort of sarcastic comment to anything I wrote.

I saw my Cameron for the first time in years.

"You don't have to lie to me, Blake. I'm. . . I think I can work it out now that I-" I grabbed his hand, watching as the words died and his lips started to part in surprise.

Before I could let my thoughts stop me, I forced myself forward and kissed him.

At least that's how it played out in my head, it was far from what really happened.

Instead of having the wonderful grace of closing the gap between us, I tripped over my own foot on the way and landed face first into my best friend's lap.

I felt his entire body tense at the same time mine did, but when I looked up I was shocked to find a smile breaking out across his face. He started laughing as my cheeks flushed, my heart pounding against my chest.

"That was a lot more graceful in my head." I mumbled, starting to move away. He was still too busy laughing to say anything, and after a second, his contagious laughter got to me and I joined in.

He held his hand out to me once he had gained his composure, helping me up. To my surprise he didn't let go of my hand but pulled me closer until I fell on to his lap.

"Was that your attempt to kiss me?" He whispered, brushing a strand of hair off of my red cheek.

"No." I lied, looking away from him in embarrassment.

"Blake, if you wanted to kiss me, you could have just asked." He laughed.

"Touche." I replied. His thumb lingered on my cheek for a second before moving to my jaw, his hazel eyes glistening as he stared down at me with a curious expression.

I closed the gap between us and let my lips fall against his, surprised when my body took control and started to move on its own.

Cam's arm tightened around my waist, pulling me against him as he deepened the kiss.