Cheesecake and Skittles

"This is ridiculous, Cam."

I watched Jacob moving toward his car in quick, swift movements. He looked as if he were in a hurry to get somewhere.

"Just go!" Cam hissed in my ear before shoving me so I nearly stumbled off the last step up to my porch. The sound of my shoes scraping against the ground caught Jake's attention and he turned around to face me, cracking a smile.

"Blake." He greeted, digging in his pockets for his keys. I fixed my backpack strap on my shoulder and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear.

"I was wondering if you could possibly give me a ride." I cleared my throat once I realized how hoarse my voice was, "Shay and Wes bailed on me last second and Cam's already at school." I waited for Jake to come up with some excuse to why he couldn't drive me on his way to the community college a little further down the street than the high school, but he smiled and nodded instead.

"Sure." He walked around the car and opened the passenger side door, gesturing for me to get in.

"Thanks," I ducked my head and got in, "you're a life saver, Jake." He nodded, shutting the door gently before walking back around to get into the driver's seat.

He chuckled quietly as he started the car, revving the engine, almost as if he were showing off how great the motor in the Beamer was.

"Why's Cam at school so early? I was starting to believe that he didn't even show up." I knew he was attempting to joke, but something about the way his eyes darkened made me want to think that he was partially serious.

"I don't know. He said something about a morning detention." I shrugged. Jake stayed quiet for a while, keeping his eyes on the road ahead with a small smile etched into his face.

"Cameron was telling me that you're helping with some sort of Winter dance thing." I glanced up, feeling my lips starting to part in surprise.

"Yeah. Shay and I are." I replied, reaching over to turn the radio up a little so the silence in the car wasn't so uncomfortable.

"Are you going to attend it?" He went on, his eyebrow arching.

Stop being so dense, Blake. He's trying to ask you to the dance!

"I was thinking about it, but no one asked me." I mumbled. He stayed quiet so long that I was sure he wasn't going to respond.

"I mean, I'm free most of the time. If you need a date, I'd be happy to take you." I felt my lips curling into a smile before I could stop them.

"That would be great, if you want to, I mean." Great job, Blake. You probably just talked him out of it.

"Of course, Blake. You know I'd do anything for you." I felt my stomach flutter at his words, knowing very well that I was taking them the wrong way.

I snuck a few looks at him the rest of the way there, the giddy feeling in my chest making me feel like I was thirteen again, spying on Jake swimming in the pool with Shay.

"Looks like we're here, My Lady." Jake put the car in park, turning toward me with a grin.

"I wish you still went here." I said.

"So do I." He reached over and brushed a strand of my hair off of my warm cheek, his eyebrows raised slightly in amusement.

"Thanks for the ride, Jake." He nodded, pulling his hand back toward him, his face falling into an emotionless mask.