Not Awkward At All

"Oh."

Cam began to bang his forehead repeatedly against my shoulder, a loud groan leaving him.

I knew how awkward it must be, talking to his mom about his sex life. He was actually handling it fairly well.

"So you two-" Ms. Mendoza started, pointing back and forth between the two of us. I shifted, pushing Cam away so he was staring at his mom with red cheeks.

"I'm not exactly sure what we are. I didn't know he had been carrying those around." I tried to hold back my smile, to keep myself from completely exploding into laughter. The look on Cam's face was absolutely priceless.

"Mom, can we please not do this right now." Cam muttered, rubbing his face. Ms. Mendoza waved her son off and turned to me, obviously aware that I was the one that would be handing out all the details.

"I'm so happy! I always knew that you two would be perfect for each other! You were so lovely and-"

"Mom!"

"Cam, honey. Let your mom be happy that you found your future wife." This time I felt warmth spread through my own cheeks. Cam grabbed my wrist, swiping the small packs from his mom's hand, and dragged me up the stairs to his room.

"I'm sorry, you know how Mom is." Cam said once we were in his room, tossing the condoms into his nightstand drawer.

"It's fine. I'm sure my mom would be acting the same way if she knew." I replied, sitting on his bed and running my finger along his Batman comforter.

If only everyone at school knew their precious Cameron Mendoza still slept under a Batman comforter.

"I. . . why didn't you call or text? I would have met you at your place." He sat beside me, resting his hand on top of mine.

"I don't want to be there right now." I mumbled with a shrug, "I didn't think you'd mind me being here."

"I don't. I was just surprised to see you, that's all." He pushed a strand of my hair off my cheek and turned my head a little.

"What happened?" He asked. He knew me too well.

"What makes you think something happened?"

"You have that look in your eyes. Where you smile and act like it's okay when tears are glistening in them." I laid my head against his shoulder.

"It's not that important. I can handle-"

"Blake, you know you can tell me anything." He cocked his head, "Right?"

"I just found out my dad's a bigger asshole than I thought and. . . and I have a sister." Cam blinked. He sat quietly beside me for a second, thinking what he was getting ready to say over.

"Damn." He finally said, "That sucks, Blake. I'm sorry." I shrugged.

"Like I said, I can handle it on my own. I just-"

"Blake, look at me." I turned, Cam's eyes burning into mine.

"I don't want you to keep everything bottled up anymore, you can pour your heart out to me. I don't care if it becomes my problem, your problems are my problems now. They always have been." I shook my head, tears starting to sting my eyes.

"You already have enough on your plate, Cam. You don't need to be worrying about my life too." He leaned forward, his hand brushing against my cheek as he kissed me gently.

"I'll always be worrying about your life. I love you." He kissed the top of my hand, smiling.

"I love you too, Cam."