Chapter Five, Part Two: Hello Old Friends, We Meet Again

Start from the beginning

"It has to be something all those things have in common." She tossed me a confused glance. "Wait haven't you been stuffing yourself with popcorn these past two days?"

"Yes but I'm not counting that. I don't feel sick anymore I just feel hungry."

Kena laughed, "Hon'yomi you can't expect corn to keep you full."

I sighed, laying my forehead on the counter. "I knoooow...I have so many kernels in my gums..."

"You do brush your teeth right?"

I lifted my head and sent her a dark but teasing look. "Yes I do."

She grinned, flipping the spatula in her hand and placed the steaming burger on it's bun. "Here." The plate clattered as she slid it my way.

I eyed the contents warily, unsure of how my body would react to it.

'It's your own doing!'

Monokuma had said no one was at fault but me and for some reason I trusted that.

"Hon'yomi!" Kena exclaimed at my reaction. "I promise they're safe!" She stabbed a fork into her own burger still sizzling on the grill. "Here." She proceeded to look me dead in the eye and took a huge bite of the steaming meat.

I gasped like an idiot. "Kena! Don't be stupid that's hot!"

However my warnings didn't need to be said. The moment Kena closed her lips she burst them open again, spitting the hamburger out in any direction as long as it was out of her mouth. I watched as the Comedian gasped loudly, wincing at the pain.

"Oush." She said, her tounge hanging out of her mouth. "Dat's hot..."

I couldn't hide my laughter. "You fool!" I snickered at her reaction. "I've never seen someone spit out food that fast in my life!"

Kena grumbled quietly, cleaning up the mess she made. "Eat your hamburger!" She shouted at me, sending me feigned glares of annoyance.

I gave her a thumbs up and prepared to pick it up but stopped again.

'You're clever figure it out!'

Monokuma.

My eyes watched the burger on my plate. He made it sound as if only I could figure it out. But how? As a child there was no indication that I had any allergies to food. No one in my family had any allergic reactions to-

I raised my head from the bun and stared at the far wall. "Oh."

"Oh what?" Kena asked, looking disappointed that I still hadn't begun eating.

As things fell into place I groaned. "Damn it, no!"

Slightly concerned she walked closer to the counter. "What? What is it?"

Huffing I glared at the food. "I think I- oh I don't want to be- but I think I- I'm allergic to gluten..."

"Gluten?" Kena blinked. "As in...?"

I looked down at the bun and hamburger she had willingly made me. "As in bread. As in this bun." I pointed at it sadly.

Kena stared at me for a few seconds and I waited expectantly for her reaction. I myself didn't want to think it true but both my brother and my dad were intolerant and well, the majority of what I had eaten so far were types of bread, popcorn aside.

Kena continued to stare at me some time longer before sighing. "Damn." Without another word she snatched up my plate, tossing the food and it into a trash behind the counter. I watched silently and she vanished around the corner banging things around.