Chapter 36

Victoria's baby?

The words hit me like a tidal wave. Memories of Hunter telling me about the pregnancy and looking absolutely heartbroken washed over me all of a sudden, until I felt like I was drowning.

I had to support myself on the wall with one hand. This time the dizziness wasn't just because of my concussion. "What about it?" I choked out.

Sean rolled his eyes at me. "Pull yourself together. It's not his."

"It's... not?" I echoed wide-eyed. "What do you mean it's not his? Whose is it then?"

Sean quirked a brow at me. "You really aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you? Do I need to spell it out for you?" He pointed at himself and said, exaggeratedly slowly: "The baby is mine."

My eyes were probably the size of saucers when I stared at him. "You were sleeping with Victoria?"

"For months," Sean said nonchalantly. "It's never been something serious, just a few hook-ups here and there."

"Then how did... it, you know, happen?" I asked, still trying to process the new turn of events.

"What, you don't know about the bees and the birds?" Sean snorted. "One night we were drunk as hell at a party. We were in a walk-in closet, neither of us had a condom and apparently she hadn't taken her pill. Boom, there you have a baby."

"I- okay... If she knows this, why did she tell Hunter it's his?"

"Because she's a shady bitch?" he suggested. "She knows that that's a way to bind Hunter to her."

I nodded slowly. "Sean... Why are you telling me all this? I mean, you could just play along and you wouldn't have to worry about having to deal with all of this."

Sean shook his head with an impatient scowl. "No, you don't get it. I want the baby. It's mine, not his. I know that he won't care about it like I would, because he hates Victoria and is probably disgusted by the thought of having a child with her." He took a deep breath. "I told my parents and they're willing to help me support the baby. Seeing as Victoria will probably never be a responsible mother, I want it to at least have a caring father."

I blinked at him, still dazed. "So are you going to take a paternity test to prove it?"

"I already did. Told Vicky's mom about the pregnancy and she forced her to go there to give a sample today. We'll get the results this week."

"Wow," I breathed. "I... thank you. This will help us so much."

Sean's glare replaced the almost soft look on his face immediately. "I'm not doing this for you. I just thought you should know so you don't have to be a cry baby about the whole pregnancy thing. Plus, I don't want to go to Hunter and tell him myself. You do that."

I knew that he wouldn't appreciate any more thanks, so I let it slide and looked after him as he turned around and left the house as fast as he had come.

+++

"No way. No way," Nate choked out when I re-narrated the entire story the next day at school. We were sitting on the stairs leading to the school's front door between second and third period. "She's really pregnant? With Sean's child?"

"Yes, Nate, for the fourth time," I retorted impatiently. "Sean told me everything yesterday."

"Maybe he isn't that much of an asshole after all," Alexis muttered. She sounded utterly incredulous at saying these words, much like all of us felt.

"Yeah, he is," Adam said from where he was leaning against the banister, lighting a cigarette. "But he's an asshole who at least cares about his own child."