Chapter 5

The detention room was still deserted when I arrived, except for the entirely uninterested old teacher who was sitting there with his laptop. He didn't even look up when I approached to take one of the detention sheets.

"Hello, sir," I said and took one from the desk.

The teacher slowly looked up and said in a kind of annoying, monotone voice: "What's your name?"

"Jules Hatcher, sir."

He just nodded and wrote my name down.

Then he looked back down at his laptop and I didn't know what to do. Should I just sit down or was there something else I had to do? He hadn't dismissed me yet and I really had no idea how detention worked.

After a few seconds, I decided to just sit down. I walked to the furthest corner of the room, where I collapsed into a chair and looked at the clock. Detention would probably take one hour, I assumed, and internally growled in frustration. One hour could feel like an entire day when you were at school.

Five minutes later, a girl with more piercings than most students at my school had brain cells entered and shot me a disinterested glance. Little by little the room began to fill with the kind of students I would usually avoid, and I began to feel a little uneasy.

Ten minutes after the official beginning of detention, Hunter walked in. He knocked on the teacher's desk with a smirk and took a detention sheet.

The teacher narrowed his eyes at him. "Hunter Adams, as usual. Where are you two friends?"

Hunter just shrugged casually. "I don't know, probably spraying graffiti on your car."

The teacher actually looked out of the window with a concerned look. Meanwhile Hunter glanced around the room to find a seat.

I tried to make myself as small as possible in my chair, but of course he spotted me right away and sauntered over to me with a smug expression.

"Look at that, the little delinquent is already here!" He pulled up a chair from another table and slumped down on it so close to me, that I could smell his aftershave.

I didn't respond and simply inched away from him, not sparing him a single glance.

Next to me, I could hear Hunter laugh.

"What?" I snapped and turned my face to find him looking at me, clearly amused.

"Nothing," he said with a wide grin. "It's just funny how easy it is to annoy you."

"Maybe you're just an extremely annoying person."

He shrugged and said: "I've heard worse. Come on, sugarpie, try a bit harder."

"Can you just stop calling me that? I'm trying to fill out this stupid detention sheet and you won't stop bothering me."

"Oh, I see," Hunter said and the look on his face made me realize that the wording of that sentence had been a mistake. "You're already getting all hot and bothered because of me."

I turned my face to hide my flushed cheeks.

Hunter only chuckled. "Fine, let's have a look at the detention sheet then, huh?"

I didn't respond and just looked down at the paper.

"First question: Why am I here for detention?" Hunter read. "Because I nearly made out with Jules Hatcher, that hot piece of a boy next to me."

I watched speechlessly as he scribbled these exact words down.

"Because I supposedly kissed another student in public before school," I muttered.