Making her way toward his closet, Claire stopped to survey her options for clothing. She pulled out the smallest pair of shorts she could find – a surprisingly non-descript blue – thankful, they had none of Myrnin's normal flair for eccentricity. A quick glance at the hanging garments led her to select a plain white button down shirt. It stood out against the eye-assaulting Hawaiian prints. Amelie must have forced him to purchase it at some point.

After she got dressed, she apprehensively approached the door, staring at it as though it were a nameless enemy. It took Claire over an hour to build the courage to walk out of the lab. You can do this...You can do this... Still nothing. Until finally she screamed at herself: GET OUT! And flung her body through the door.

Her eyes blinked rapidly as they tried to adjust to the harsh sun. She stumbled forward into motion. For the most part, the town looked the same, she noticed, taking in each landmark and cataloging all of the changes in her mind. Claire stopped walking as it dawned on her she didn't know where she was going. After a minute, she realized her feet had automatically headed toward the Glass House.

She found the familiar old home and wondered who lived there now. When she caught sight of Eve's hearse-mobile around the side; her heart crashed in her ribs with joy at seeing her best friend. Did she knock? Normally, she would have just walked in. She gave a tentative rap on the door; her heartrate spiking when she heard rustling inside. Someone approached the door and the locks clicked open.

Then the door slammed ajar and a petite form hurtled themselves into her arms. Eve! Claire couldn't stop the tears and huge sobs that took over her body; she lost her strength to stand, falling in Eve's arms.

"Claire?" Eve whispered, struggling to hold up her friend. "Michael!" Eve screamed over her shoulder, in alarm.

Claire felt her body being lifted by cool arms, and carried inside as Michael set her gently on the couch. She saw two huge, wonderful pairs of eyes – one eternal and the other gently human – staring at her and heard utterances that she couldn't quite comprehend; she was too overwhelmed.

Michael spoke softly to Eve, "She's in shock, Eve...Give her a minute."

As her head cleared, Claire began to focus and make out their words. Eve saw the change that came into her eyes and tried again, "Claire...Claire honey, where have you been?"

Claire didn't respond, just stared down at Eve's hands, that were anxiously twirling her wedding ring. So, they had finally gotten married, Claire thought with happiness for them, and sadness that she had missed it. Instead she asked, "What year is it?" She saw Eve and Michael exchange glances and neither answered. Claire's voice rose unsteadily as she asked again, "What year is it?"

"It's 2017" Eve said hastily, hoping to keep Claire calm.

Eve's eyebrows furrowed in confusion when Claire whispered, "Two years?" her eyes going wide as she stared at Eve, fresh tears spilling onto her cheeks.

Michael spoke gently, but firmly, "Claire, you need to tell us what happened."

Claire began to recount the tale, watching their expressions of shock, as she walked through each of her days since she had 'last' seen them. When she was done, there was utter silence.

She mentally prepared herself to ask the questions she had to know, but was terrified to hear the answers to – What about her mom and dad? And Shane?

Before Claire could form the words, Eve started to explain, her voice breaking as she whispered, "Claire, we thought...we thought you were...dead. When you didn't come back...and Myrnin was missing...and nobody could reach either of you...we thought he had killed you and run..."

Claire's face shattered as she realized what horror they thought had happened to her.

"My parents..." she couldn't complete her question, and felt her heart rip again at Eve's answer.

"They came to town for your memorial service"

Michael added, "We haven't heard from them since, but we know they are both alive because Amelie keeps track of them and cares for them financially. I think she felt responsible for what happened to you. It was odd, but your...death...affected her, almost like you were a member of her own family. I don't know what she would have done to Myrnin if he had come back without you. She wasn't surprised by his actions...well, what she thought were his actions...but that he ran without facing her – that was a betrayal she couldn't get past."

"And...and...Shane?" Claire only mouthed the words; she couldn't force the sound through her lips. She was desperately afraid that her 'death' would have pushed him over the edge – to a point of no return; where he would have hurt someone or worse, himself.

Eve understood her alarm and quickly said, "He's okay...He's okay, Claire. He has actually been dating someone really nice for the past year."

Claire couldn't even begin to process how she felt about that, so she didn't try. Instead, she just said, "I have to go."

Both Michael and Eve looked at her in alarm.

"I need to see Amelie"

"Wait! You need to call your parents, Claire."

Claire's face fell, "I can't" she whispered.

Eve's voice rose in anger, "Well, why the hell not? They have been through hell since you left. We all have. They deserve to know you are still alive."

Tears were streaming down Claire's face now, "I know. That is why I can't tell them. I can't put them through that pain twice."

"What are you talking about?" Eve breathed barely above a whisper, her eyes huge.

Claire silently begged Eve to understand, "I...have...to find...him." She couldn't say Myrnin's name; it was just too painful. "I don't know how yet, but there is a good chance I will leave again through another time portal and I...I...can't promise I will return. They have already grieved once; I won't put them through it again." Claire felt her heart break at the thought of never seeing her mom's happy smile or her dad's mischievous grin ever again. She would just have to carry that pain; she wouldn't hurt them again.

Eve nodded mutely.

Michael reached over to hug Claire, "You know you are welcome to stay here – live here again – if that's what you want."

Claire didn't want to tell him how much the thought of sleeping in her old room alone, wondering where – and when – he was, was like fresh torture to her. So, she just nodded and said, "I am going to stay at the lab."

Claire gave them both a hug and then walked back out into the sun, toward Founder's Square.