Just Fine?!

Chapter 40 –Claire's POV– Just Fine?!

They headed toward Common Grounds. "Why are we here?" Claire asked as she looked around, still confused.

"Well, I was working when you called. But that doesn't matter. Oliver can just suck it."

Claire let out a strangled laugh and Eve's expression relaxed a tiny bit. Eve guided Claire to a small booth in the corner. "I'll be right back."

Claire leaned her head back and wondered where Eve had gone. A moment later, she returned with two drinks in her hand. She slid one over to Claire, "I sort of figured you would want this – you know, you being all new and all."

Claire tried to follow her logic and then gave up. She picked up the drink. Vodka. "Yes," she mumbled as she sipped it.

Eve eyed her critically, "Well...you don't appear to be broken or bruised. That's a damn good thing – I wouldn't want to have to get my boyfriend to kick your boyfriend's ass."

Claire cringed.

Eve squeezed her hand and spoke softly, "Tell me..."

"I...I had to see him. I thought if he was okay, then it would fix whatever is holding me back...make it okay for me to move on."

"I'm assuming the only 'him' you could be referring to is Myrnin?"

Claire nodded.

"So, that just leaves the little matter of which one...?"

"Mine," Claire whispered. "I opened a time portal so I could see him."

"You did what?" Eve hissed. "Don't you know better than that? That's like 'accidentally' looking up an ex on Facebook. First, the idea comes to you... you are certain you won't...until your resolves starts to break...finally you crumble and then you fall head first into the madness! It never – ever – ends well."

Tears trickled down Claire's cheeks. Eve stopped and stroked her hands, "Shhh. What's done is done. Believe it or not, you are a strong chick. You sure as hell have to be to handle him...I mean, them. So, what I am saying is, you will get past this."

Eve stopped, "....what exactly is this, by the way?"

Claire sniffled, "He was holding and kissing Anwyn."

"What?! I thought that bitch was dead!"

"No, we couldn't kill her. We didn't know what the consequences would be at the time, if the earlier version of her died before the later version could teach Myrnin about time portals, which was the catalyst for Myrnin and me to get together. We thought time and memory were linked...we didn't know..."

"So which version was the whore, you saw him with?"

Despite herself, Claire felt a faint smile cross her lips at Eve's question. "I don't know. We didn't exactly sit down for tea and chat."

"Don't hit me for this next question," Eve warned Claire.

Claire stared at her in confusion. "Never..."

"Okay. His choice of women has evidently dramatically declined; but wasn't that the point of looking at him, to find out if he is happy? Snuggled up with a hot redhead on his crotch; sounds like he's happy. You're not alone anymore; you have your very own crazy – I'll admit, sexy as hell – version of him, who is ready to die for you. So...tell me what you haven't told me..."

"What if he isn't?"

"Okay...which part?"

"...ready to die for me."