Chapter Ten; Open the Door

My heart rate hammered like a drum, harder and harder as I made my way to West's house. When I finally pulled into the driveway, it felt as though my heart would beat right out of my chest. It was already dark outside, around eleven or so and I know that everyone was probably already fast asleep right now, what, with all of the little kids. If I'm being completely honest here though, I don't care. I'll wake up this whole house if I have to.

I hopped out of the car into the chilly night air and fished my cell phone out from my pocket, dialing West's number. I jogged to the door, gritting my teeth as I waited for West to answer. Took me three times, but I got him. Finally, there was a click and a sleepy, irritated West answered.

"Liam? Do you even know what time it is? I was sleeping-," He muttered groggily but I cut him off, coming to a stop in front of his front door.

"Well, rise and fuckin' shine, sleeping beauty. I'm outside your front door. If you're not here in less than twenty seconds, I'll bang and scream so loud that the whole neighborhood will wake up," I challenged, not even giving him the chance to speak as I hung up the phone. I started counting in my head, daring West to try me but in all honesty, I knew he wouldn't.

Finally, once I reached eighteen seconds, I raised my fist, ready to slam on the door, when it swung open, revealing a much disheveled West. My chest instantly felt tight. He was halfway through a yawn, one hand dragging through his dark hair, the other one resting on the door. He squinted at me irritably. " Dude, what-what are you doing here-,"

"You," I started, poking him in the chest, again not letting him get even a word in. I pushed past him and into the dark house. "Are a piece of shit."

He sucked in a breath, shaking his head, and closed the door behind him, turning around to look at me. He quirked a brow, whispering, "Why am I a piece of shit?"

"For promising me that you would call me and then leaving me hanging," I began and I noticed him flinch. I swallowed, standing my ground. I balled my hands into fists. "For making me sit there, waiting, for three days without even so much as a text from you. For letting me walk out with that perverted little lowlife of a man-,"

"Liam, I-I can explain that, okay, if you'd just let me-," He started, holding out his hands in surrender, seeming fully awake now, but I stopped him with a glare.

"I'm not finished," I scowled, my voice slowly dropping and it began to crack as I looked down. His mouth clamped shut and I drew in a deep breath, trying to compose myself and not raise my voice. "You're a piece of shit for leaving me by myself again. And for not telling me how you felt about me when it was so obvious that I'm head over heels for you."

In the dark, I saw his eyes widen and my heart started to pound again. He froze. "H-How did you know about that?"

"Blake told me," I whispered, dragging a hand through my hair. My gaze fell to the floor. "How could you not tell me? I made it so obvious how badly I wanted you and you-,"

"I wanted to tell you, Liam," He began, suddenly not really seeming to care about how loud his voice was. He stepped towards me, hooking a hand on the back of his neck. His eyes searched my face. "I had a whole plan. I mapped out the whole day when we went out and I was waiting for the perfect moment to ask you out. But every time I got the chance, I just got so nervous  and I couldn't get it out a-and then that guy showed up and-,"

"I wanted you to tell me not to go!" I interrupted, whisper-yelling at him, balling my hands into fists. "I was waiting for it! I didn't want to go with that guy! Hell, ever since I started hanging out with you, I've wanted no other guy to be around me!"

He blinked in surprise but I saw a glimmer of white in the dark, a smile creeping up his cheeks. "You mean that?"

"Of-Of course, you idiot!" I sputtered my voice starting to slip. I swallowed roughly. "Why else would I put up with all of the shit that we do together? You think I actually go and hang out with people often?"