Silent Celtic Promise

Start from the beginning

Claire narrowed her eyes, and then asked, "Why Conwy?"

"It was where my mother was from..." I felt a familiar sadness at her memory.

"Your mother..." Claire had a look of surprise as though she had never considered me human before. And then realizing the topic pained me, she reached for my hand, her eyes providing reassurance.

"It was a long time ago..." I sighed in resignation. "She had given me away to Gwion – and I never saw her alive again. After I became immortal, I returned to Conwy, intent on seeking answers from her, but I was just moments too late. When I arrived, I found my entire family – mother, brother and sisters – slaughtered by a rival vampire, intent on taking the territory from me. He took their lives as an act of dominance and authority over me. I think I shall always regret that I was the means for their deaths."

Claire squeezed my hand, her eyes glistening with compassion, as she shared my pain with me, and then nodded for me to continue.

"I held my mother in my arms for the last time. Thinking it a strange twist of fate – for had she been able to see me, there would have been no recognition as she looked into my eyes. Maybe it was better that way." I couldn't help leaning forward, letting my head rest in my hands. It had been more years than I could count, since I recalled that day with such clarity.

Claire immediately put her arms around me, as if she could protect me from my inner demons.

Silly girl, she has no idea.

I lifted my head and found comfort in Claire's eyes, and then continued, "When I was done burying them, I hunted the vampire that had taken their lives. It didn't take me long before I found him," I stopped, realizing the next part of the story would sicken Claire.

"What happened?" she whispered.

Part of me wanted to lie, but a stronger part of me was defiant. I was a vampire. It was who I was, who I still am. I held her gaze and spoke, "I tortured him for hours – and then days – before allowing him to die."

Claire blinked and gave pause, her mind in contemplation, as the realization of my words registered.

I expected her to run...or scream...or hate me for the monster that I am, but she did none of those things. Instead, she placed a hand to my cheek and whispered, "I'm sorry that you had to go through that." From her gaze, I couldn't tell if she meant the loss of my family or torturing the other vampire. Maybe she meant both.

Breaking the tension, I decided it best to move on and continue the original tale, "Alas, I allowed lesser vampires to maintain smaller territories within mine, giving them certain liberties and authority to maintain order. And certainly, I faced many rivals, none of which could defeat me, until a fateful day – four weeks from now."

Claire inhaled sharply, her eyes going wide and whispered the obvious question, "What happens four weeks from now?"

"It burns....All of it...Burns to the ground." I stated, my voice devoid of emotion.

"How?" Claire breathed.

"Anwyn," I answered simply.

Claire's eyes flashed with alarm. And something else, was that hurt? She jumped up, almost startling me. "I told you...I told you she would hurt you!" she hissed, righteous indignation spilling out as she obviously recalled our last argument. "So why in the hell did you agree to travel with her? And why would you come here of all places?!"

"She forgot! And you choose him!" I exploded, anger and pain wrapping together into a tight little knot in my chest. Claire recoiled, but I couldn't stop myself, "Tell me why you are here! Why?! Tell me why I am going to risk my life getting you home, so that you can run right back into his arms and his bed! You think you still love him. I can read it in your eyes. So, is this a game, an adventure to you?!"