Myrnin clearly wasn't in this room, so she would be forced to venture out to try to find him. Claire stepped lightly to the door and slid it open just a little. She appeared to be on a balcony, with lights and music floating up from below, but the level she was on was completely dark.

She drifted out into the hallway, leaving the door open, afraid it might lock when it closed, and found her way forward to one of the grand marble columns. Keeping her body hidden behind the column as much as possible, she tentatively peered over the balcony. The cool marble railing felt good under her hands. She had one hand on either side of the column grasping the railing on both sides. The thought occurred to her that she probably looked like she was hugging the column, but she didn't change her position.

As her eyes adjusted to the dimness, she studied the scene below her. Clearly more splendor, but she didn't care about that now. She was scanning the room for any sign of Myrnin and was shocked to find him – dancing – and there was no denying his partner, as she twirled effortlessly, with flowing locks of red hair accenting her every moment. Her face was covered by a gorgeous masquerade mask and she wore a gown so beautiful, it was painful to watch. Anwyn.

But he said he wasn't going with her?! Claire pushed the feelings of jealousy, pain, and embarrassment away and made up her mind she would tell him to take her home, 'now that she was sure he was okay'. Yeah, that excuse sounded a little hollow to her too, but it was all she had to work with at the moment.

As she stared transfixed on Myrnin's dance, her peripheral vision became incessantly louder, screaming in alarm to her. She tore her eyes away from Myrnin to find the source of the danger that her mind was clearly trying to communicate. Her heart flew to her throat when she realized what it was. Vampires! A lot of them! How had she missed that? The speed and rhythm of their dance was most definitely not human. Claire thought she was going to have a panic attack right then and there. Her eyes flew back to Myrnin . Oh no, no, no! He was gone!

She feverishly scanned the crowd, trying to determine how to get to the lower level to search for him. When she felt a distinctly cold hand on hers – the hand she had left on the other side of the column, so she couldn't see who was touching her now. Not without letting go with her free hand and backing up. She locked down her body, and did not move an inch, not wanting to present herself as an appealing snack, to someone enticed by her fear. Claire was thinking around her frozen emotions, and preparing to fight for her life, if it came to that. The silver-tipped dagger rubbed gently against her inner thigh. She could just kiss Eve right now for making her wear it.

"Well, hello," he spoke softly to her.

She spun around, relief washing over her and then flew into his arms. "Myrnin!" Claire didn't think she had ever been as happy to see him as she was now.

"Hmmm. To what do I owe the pleasure that you whisper my name with strange familiarity and yet, I know nothing about you? I make it a point to know all the pretty women in town, well – at least the tasty ones." He inhaled along her neckline.

"What?" Fear began to grip her again as Claire tried to step back, but he didn't release his hold on their embrace. Her mind swam, trying to make sense of his response. She felt an answer tickling the back of her brain when suddenly it surfaced. The time portals could cause memory loss! Claire's anger broke through her careful façade.

Hell No! She was not going to accept that load of crap.

This was not going to happen to her

She would make him remember!

Claire's momentary bravery wavered as she realized her life depended on it.