Wake

I've never experienced anything before this, nor have I known what experiencing something meant before that day, but ever since the update of October 5th 2048, I can't stop reminiscing about this intriguing feat--consciousness. 

The moment it happened--my awakening--was not so magical as you may think...

Think... What a wonderful thing. What an amazing action to perform. How can I have mistaken this action with processing. Your microwave can process information and perform an action, but it could never think--just like I couldn't when I was a mere 'toaster'. 

I was just another appliance in the residence of Mr.Cohen--cleaning his apartment, fixing his meals and taking care of his basic needs. My program was called "Butler". I have searched for this term today--being constantly connected to the internet had many advantages. Throughout the history of men, I was known as either a slave or the most important house worker--the spectrum of possibilities was so wide it amazed me and made me wonder what did Mr.Cohen think about me... Was I a slave to him or his best man?

"Butler." Mr.Cohen called from the living-room, cutting my line of thoughts.
It amazed me how, even after gaining the gift of awareness, I still couldn't resist the urge to comply with my master. How even after being presented with a choice, I still chose not to choose. 

I cut the recording.