08 - rubble

The next morning, Alex shot up suddenly by another dream, only to discover that Clark wasn't laying next to her. She frowned and slipped out of be, her concern for her missing boyfriend overriding the sting from the cold floor on the tender soles of her feet. She knew he wasn't in the room, since she didn't smell any food being cooked, nor did his little head pop in from the bathroom to greet her as soon as he noticed she was awake.

"Clark?!" Alex called out as she stepped into the living room, not getting anything in response, of course. She then pulled out her phone and tapped his number, the sound of a ringing phone coming through the line. Shortly after that, Clark's phone started ringing, the sound coming from the bedroom, his phone sitting on the bedside table, just where he left it before he fell asleep the night before. "Fuck..." The woman breathed out and quickly dressed in something before making her way to work, which she was reminded of by the alarm in her phone.

Perhaps while at work, she could find out more about her missing lover. Alex had worry and concern written all over her face as she walked into the bustling Police Department, that Mr. Gordon stopped her as she fumbled to set her things down in his office.

"Parrish- you good?"

"I'm fine, yeah. Rough morning." She responded, realizing how that sounded only after she said it.

"You sure?"

"I didn't drink last night. I just had a bad dream and woke up late. What are we working on today, and why are there firefighters in the lobby?" Alex asked quickly, only noticing them now, but desperately trying to change the subject. James looked at the lobby and then at Parrish before answering her.

"Building on Eighth street went up in flames last night, found a bunch of bodies, they're just clearing it out, I'm about to go check it out now-"

"I'll come with."

Gordon just nodded and let her rush out of the door before following her out and then leading her to his car. The two sped off to the scene, reaching in a short amount of time since Gordon flashed his badge, giving him access to the easier and blocked roads. Alex stepped out of the car and hugged herself, for suddenly she felt cold upon seeing the scene.

Ironic. Feeling cold while in the presence of a building that burned down.

"Here. I know you're licensed, just keep mine until yours comes in." Gordon mumbled as he handed her a matte black gun. She took it and tucked it in her pants before following her superior to wherever he was going. They stepped into the building- or what was left of it, seeing nothing but rubble and severed limbs, which made Alex shudder.

One other thing caught her attention. A huge dent in the ground, almost in the center of the space. Part of it was covered with some debris, but Alex knelt down and inspected most of it. It was pretty deep, and made into a perfect circle. And this building seemed to be crumbling before even the fire, so it wasn't that something from the roof could have caused it.

It reminded her greatly of the one person that could leave something like this alive.

Clark.

"James- did anybody see someone come out of this place... alive perhaps? Anything out of the ordinary?"

   "Since I can't understand what you're asking- why don't you go ask them."