04 - shopping

Alex pulled up and parked before gathering the mail in her hand and using a free hand to hold the keys as she hopped out of the truck and locked it after kicking the door shut.

She walked into the apartment to hear Clark's voice. He was on the phone, and by the way his voice sounded like he was smiling the whole time, she could tell he was speaking to his mother. The sound of the papers hitting the table as Alex tossed them got Clark's attention, making him swing around with his trademark smile. He mumbled his goodbyes and set his phone aside, walking straight to the woman his loved and pulling her into an embrace.

Alex welcomed his arms as she always does. She admired how gentle he was- how cuddling and embraces like this were like handling eggs or holding a freshly blown soap bubble in his palm, but he seemed to hold her with ease.

"Hello, Mr. Kent."

   "Mrs. Kent.." Clark mumbled into her hair.

"I didn't know my last name changed."

   "Do you mind?"

"Not even a little, but where's the rock?" Alex asked, her eyebrows raised in amusement as she pulled back and stared up at him, flashing her empty left hand.

   "Um... uh- right. I'll get back to you on that."

Alex laughed, and the grin on Clark's face widened as he watched her throw her head back and laugh. A chuckle left his lips as Alex collected herself, staring up at him with a small smile.

"Are we going to that Wayne party?"

   "I don't think it'll hurt to show up. They have invited us."

"Then we need to do some shopping."

   "Shopping?" Clark asked, raising a brow.

"Do you happen to have a tux?"

   "Good point. Let's go then?"

With that, the couple headed out again, this time, Clark driving while Alex sat quietly in the passenger seat. They decided to just go to the Mall of Gotham City,  since they had no knowledge of any other shops around. They didn't have all the money in the world, so Alex brought up the idea of buying bits and pieces from different stores and putting all together, especially for Clark, since she decided she would be wearing a dress.

Hopping out of the rusty truck, the two of them walked in, hand in hand. A familiar shop was found as soon as they walked in, and Alex rushed right to the men's section, knowing that getting something for her dear boyfriend would be the hardest part of this trip.

It took almost two hours, but they finished, not spending more than what Alex wanted to spend. They packed the bags into the back of the truck and were off, back to their room to get ready.

"So, you ready to go there and be bombarded with questions about Lex, and why you've disappeared from Metropolis?" Alex asked, her arm resting against the door as she held her head in her palm.

   "I really hope everyone doesn't ask about that."

"Clark. That's what everyone would be thinking.. they wanna know the mystery of the vanishing reporter."

   "You're right. I just don't wanna answer that question over and over again."

Alex gave a sympathetic look and reached her hand over to rub her boyfriend's arm. Clark acknowledged the comfort and glanced over at her before looking back at the road. When they got back, they opened out the bags and examined their clothes. Alex checked the invitation one last time to see the time and address, then looked up at Clark, who was staring blankly at the fabric laid out on the couch.

"What is it." Alex asked bluntly, seeing the uncomfortable look on his face.

   "Nothing. I hope they don't ask about Lois."

Alex went silent for that. She didn't know what to tell him. She didn't want to tell him they wouldn't ask, because she'd just be lying, and she didn't know how to comfort him, or if he was really asking for it when he said that, so she just gave him a sympathetic look again, letting out a sigh.