twenty

Wonwoo pulled his phone from his back pocket and send Mingyu a brief, 'I'm outside', message as he stood in front of the door to Mingyu's house.

He had been trying to avoid Mingyu since the development of his rather unexpected gay liking towards the younger boy had risen to a stifling height, but he reckoned that he had to face up to his feelings at some point. So when Mingyu had sent him a text inviting him to  do actual work on the class project they'd both been putting off for ages, as well as hanging out at his house with him, Wonwoo had felt like he should really accept.

The door opened all of a sudden and a very excited Mingyu opened the door and Wonwoo was greeted with a yell of Wonwoo's name and a sharp tug on his arm pulling him in through the door and into Mingyu's house.

"It's been ages, dude, your immune system is terrible. You've missed like a whole week of school, bro, you're not avoiding me or something, right?" Mingyu laughed as he joked at the last part of his sentence, which made a feeling of guilt stir up inside him amidst the butterflies he got from seeing Mingyu again.

"I guess," said Wonwoo, "my mum gets ill all the time so maybe I got it from her."

"I'll have to fight your mum then, since she's the reason I haven't been able to see my space friend for so long." Mingyu flashed a grin at Wonwoo and Wonwoo found himself almost forgetting how to breathe for a second before he smiled back.

Mingyu's eyes widened as if he was suddenly remembering something, before suddenly clapping his hands together. "Wait there, I'll be right back, I'm going to get something for you!"

"You got me something? You didn't have to-"

"Shut up, I wanted to get you something. I saw it and thought of you so it would have been just wrong for me not to have got it." Mingyu left the room in a hurry and Wonwoo could hear the thud of his footsteps as he ran up the steps into what Wonwoo assumed was his bedroom.

Unlike Wonwoo's clustered and homely-like house, the Kim house seemed very modern and roomy; the walls painted a warm cream colour with big front windows and a brown suede sofa. You could tell that Mingyu had made his mark on the household, with a trio of IKEA cacti lined up in front of a framed photo of a much younger Mingyu. Footsteps upstairs could be heard again and it wasn't long before Mingyu returned, carrying a small fluffy cactus in his hands.

"Mingyu-"

"It's for you, look," said Mingyu, "the pot has stars on it and I thought you'd appreciate a mega super combo of something I like: the plant, with something you like: the star pot."

Wonwoo was pretty sure he had started blushing as he took the cactus from Mingyu's hands and the tip of his index finger brushed Mingyu's pinkie. "You have to stop buying me stuff, really, Gyu-"

"Not gonna happen. Anyway, how about we go up to my room and get started on that project?"

Wonwoo bit his bottom lip in a kind of humble awkwardness. "Sure."

If Wonwoo had thought Mingyu's front room was one of the most aesthetic-looking rooms he had seen, then Mingyu's bedroom was that, times about seven. The walls were all white, with brown shelves and a noticeboard on his wall with neatly written hangul revision notes, not to mention the large amounts of plants there were around the room. Not only was Mingyu himself the pinnacle of everything aesthetic, but his room was too.

"So," Mingyu began, flopping down on his bed and gazing up at Wonwoo, "have you thought of any ideas?"

"For the project? I was hoping you had," said Wonwoo, taking a seat at Mingyu's neat, white desk, "but, honestly, I was expecting your room to be way messier."

Mingyu pulled an expression of fake offence. "How could you say such a thing? It's for the aesthetic, of course."

"Of course."

There was an awkward kind of silence that fell over the two for a few seconds, and Mingyu got his phone out from his pocket before calling Wonwoo over, patting the bed beside him for Wonwoo to sit next to him. "Wonwoo, come watch this with me."

"What is it?"

"A slime video. Come sit next to me."

"Aren't we meant to be working?"

"That was an excuse to get your ill ass out of bed and over to me, alright? Now come watch someone squish this slimy purple squish with me."

Wonwoo laughed. He still had the butterfly feeling in his stomach as he sat down next to Mingyu but as the two watched videos as they scrolled through Mingyu's Instagram feed together, Wonwoo realised that he never wanted to avoid Mingyu again.