Chapter 1

I cough out blood as Masky rushes to my side. I push him away but he just stays where he is. Another hit from a whip to me and one to Masky for just being there by my side. I tears sting my eyes, I’m powerless here, or maybe not. Another hit and I don’t feel anything, just a grunt from Masky. I turn to look at him. His shirt is torn and I start to sob. I can’t confess my power here, they’ll take me to the government but I can’t let Masky take all of these hits.

“Tell me how you survived the explosion!” The angry interrogation man yelled. The state gave him permission to do whatever is needed to get us to answer.

“It was just a chance!” I sob out; I crawl over to Masky who was struggling to stay alive. There is no way I was going to rat out my father. Two days ago my father was stalking in the forest when the man he was following shot at the gas tank, causing an explosion. I was walking through the forest with Masky and was seen at the sight minutes after the explosion. Luckily I was able to get my dad out before police arrived but the man who caused it died so we looked very suspicious.

“You’ve been feeding me that lie for two hours now!” He hits us again. Masky tries to protect me up falls and I can see blood coming from his head.

“Stop!” I scream. I can’t control my emotions for much longer. “Hurt him, do it. I’m right behind you. I’ll help if you need it. Do it, do it.” My mom whispers in my ear. I stumble to my feet.

“Why should I do what you say? You’re just a stupid kid who won’t answer my questions.”

I clench my fists and glare at him.

“Do you want another one?” He lashes his whip at me and I move behind him in a blink of an eye. He turns and tries again, he misses. I feel a pain in my back and my teeth grow. My transformation completes and I see pure terror in his eyes. He pulls out a gun and begins to shoot; none of the bullets hit me. I run up to him and grab him by the tie, “I could easily kill you and I could easily spare you.” I read him. He’s never done anything horrible, just ripped the truth from people in aggressive ways. I glare at him and he looks me in the eyes, scared for his life, “You wanna know how I survived? My abilities are how I survived.” Masky groans and I look over to him and forget about what I was saying. I drop the man and run over to Masky. My transformation changes me into my good form. I bend down next to him and pull him close to me. “Masky?” I ask panicked. I look over his body and the marks are everywhere. Tears wet my face as I begin to heal him, “Come on,” I say softly, “Please please please.” I whisper as his wounds disappear. “Wake up, please just wake up.” My tears dot his face and his eyes slowly open.

“Hey.” He says softly. I hug him and he laughs. I cry into his shoulder and he comforts me.

“Y-you healed him.” The man says.

I slowly unwrap myself from Masky and look at the man who stood at his desk surprised.

“You changed and you can control your abilities.”

“Yeah, I could’ve killed you too.”

He stands there and looks at Masky and I. My clothes torn from begin hit and my face moist with tears. He picks up his phone and dials a phone number. He talks on the phone in a language I don’t understand and then hangs up. “Some people will be here to pick you up in a few hours. Masky, you may go home.”

“I’m not going without him.”

“I will escort you, Miss Anabelle to your room.”

“Who’s coming to get me?”

“A few members of the government.” I sit there with my jaw wide open and Masky stands up to fight back but I put my hand up, “Masky go home, tell my parents so that they aren’t wondering where I am. Please.” He walks out of the room. He’s not going to tell my parents. He’s going to wait outside the building and wait for me. The man gets up and walks over to me.

“I believe we got off to the wrong start, my name is George.” He holds out his hand.

I glare at him, “We did and I hold a grudge.” He puts his hand down and cuffs me. We walk down a long white hallway. This place is really shorthanded. They have only three guards working today. I look around and only two security cameras are watching me. I burn them with my mind and I can hear the guards wonder what’s wrong. I quickly begin to melt my cuffs and we turn right. I see ta door at the end of the hall and I know it’s mine. As soon as I feel the cuffs fall off I shove George into the wall and run as fast as I can. By the time I get out the door I hear footsteps running after us. I grab Masky’s arm and drag him. We run as fast as we can. Eventually we stop because Masky is tired and I freak out. I hear sirens and pull Masky into a bush. We hide there as cars pass us. I’m scared to know if we’ll get out alive.