Attacked

After leaving the foster care home, I never really realized how good I actually did have it. I had food, a roof over my head, clothing. I was living better than 95% of the population. But now, its like I don't even know where I'm sleeping tonight, I am truely scared, amd lonely.

I've been on the road for awhile , maybe a little less than a year, and I'm holding in my tears. All of these innocent people were now what seems to be something out of a horror movie, except theres no ending. It just keeps going. All I have been thinking about is "how am I going to survive? How am I going to find people? How do I kill these zombies?" Thats when it hit me. They can walk, I can run, they're dead, but something is keeping them walking.... their brain. So all I've got to do is stab them.. in the head.. yeah.. not as easy as it sounds.

Every now and then I'll pass one, but they're too busy nawing on another poor soul who couldn't make it. It has been at least two hours I've been walking and I'm starting to get hungry & tired. I mean I was awakened by a disturbing blood curdling scream at 5:30 in the morning on a weekend, I'm bound to be. I walk a little further to see if theres a bench or something I can sit down at, instead I walk upon a forest. I've never been anywhere outside of Griffin so this is all new surroundings, I don't even know what city I'm in either. I take a deep breath, walking into the forest, trying not to make noise.

I scavenged for food for maybe ten minutes, trying to be as quiet as possible but it wasn't enough. I had my first major encounter in that woods. I could hear them, from all different directions, I knew if I wanted to get out of this alive I would have to fight this one. The first one I saw came from the west of me, I took my gun, and shot it in the head, running as fast as I could. But there were more, and they were getting closer. It sounded like a million zombies walking towards me. So I did the only thing I could do, I climbed onto the nearest tree and I got as high away from them as possible. I was about ten feet in the air, about as high as I could go without letting my anxiety get to me.

I was high enough to see over a quater mile from me. There weren't a ton, but I couldn't get out of there with all of them surrounding me. So I just screamed for help "HELP" "HELP" "HELP" I screamed it as loud as I could as many times as I could until I let my anxiety take over. I knew that if no one came to help I would be a goner, especially how the town looked so deserted besides the zombies. I was started to shake, and cry, and just lose it. I felt like I was going insane. I started thinking about everyone who meant something to me and how much I miss them. I started thinking about my mom, wondering if shes out there still. My thoughts were disturbed when I heard running and gunshots. It looked like to guys, one maybe 14 and the other in his 30's.

"Over here!" I said, waving my arms and drying my tears. I got a nod from the younger boy who was a little busy stabbing zombies in the heads, the other guy just chopping their heads off one by one. It took them about five minutes until it was safe for me to come down, well I didn't really think that one totally through because I was still afraid to come down from the tree. The younger boy climbed up the tree to help me down, I got a good look at him and I have to admit, he was very cute. He grabbed my hips and helped me down. Either I was as light as a stick or, damn.. he's strong.

"You okay?" The older guy asked, sounding like he was from around here. "Yeah.. I'm fine, just a little shooken up." I said. "My names Rick, and this is my son, Carl. Rick said, sort of firm. Carl gave me a smirk and we locked eyes for three seconds. "Nice to meet you guys" I said with a smile, "I'm Haley." I said my thank you's, grabbed my backpack and started heading off until Carl said "Wait! Dad, can she come back to our base with us? Please.. she's all alone and she won't last a night out here by herself." Rick took a minute to think. "Well, if she's useful for somethin' them sure." Rick stated.

Carl smiled, "Wow, thank you.." I said. "Don't mention it." Rick said. All three of us started walking back to their base, I stayed in back because I didn't know where i was going, Carl right by my side. "Can I help you?" I said to Carl, chuckling under my breath. "Ah, sorry it's just.." Carl paused. "Just what?" I asked. "Nothing." He said, catching up to Rick. I followed behind them, a couple feet behind.