Chapter 10 - Behind Locked Doors

Start from the beginning

Within only a few, short moments the fire disappears. Dissipating into the night almost as quickly as it had appeared. Morgana looks down proudly, feeling her heart swell with confidence as she meets the eyes of the boy below.

Merlin smiles up at her, but before he's able to say a word there's a series of loud knocks against the door. The sound echoes across the cell, the unfamiliar noise shocking the boy into stillness.

Morgana staggers back, feeling her breathing quicken as she peers down into the cell again, trying to keep herself hidden from view. When she looks through she finds Merlin standing now, looking terrified as he keeps his eyes locked on the door, hand outstretched.

"Who's there?" Merlin calls.

"It's me," a voice replies.

-----

The room is silent, the tension suffocating. Questions form in the minds of both parties. Questions about how, about why, and about why not, but none are ever asked as the pair stare each other down. 

The prince doesn't move a muscle. Doesn't try to show how frightened he truly is. He had said the words in a fit of passion and anger. He had let all those pent up feelings he had kept locked away for all those years finally burst free. It was probably the worst and best - actually second best - decision he's made in his life. Best because he has finally built up the confidence in himself, in his views, and in his morals. Best because he has finally told his father what he really thinks. Yet, it's the worst because now Merlin is in danger. 

Uther stands unmoving. Nothing is betrayed by his expression, not his emotions, not his thoughts. Nothing. He's silent - contrary to Arthur's expectation - and this silence is what makes the prince afraid. If the man had lashed out, yelled, or threatened him it would have been easier to deal with than this silence. This silence is maddening. It worries him. Makes him question what his father will do. 

"Guards," Uther calls before two armed men enter the room, "restrain him. I'm going to find that bloody caretaker."

The guards reach out to grab him but he quickly darts out of the way, turning towards the main door behind him and running as fast as his legs can take him. If this is how his father wants to do things then he isn't about to sit quietly and let himself be taken in. He needs to find Merlin. Find him before his father has the chance to get to him first. But how? He's spent years searching. Years scouring every corner of this palace and turned up with nothing. How can he find it now? And with so little time?

He ducks around a pillar, waiting for the guards to run past before allowing himself the time to think. Should he head back to the council chambers and follow his father? He might lead him to where Merlin is, but by then it would be too late. What was it that his father said before he ran off? That he was going to find the caretaker? 

The words stick in his mind. Caretaker. Was he talking about Mary? Or was it the person who brought Merlin his meals? If he's going to find Mary then why? It isn't as though she's involved... The thought trails off in his head. No. She is involved, because she knows where Merlin is.

He peeks his head around the corner, checking for any guards before darting out and heading down to the kitchens. He smiles to himself as he weaves through the crowd of servants because unlike his father he knows Mary's schedule and at this time of the day she would be down in the kitchen's fetching his dinner. He bursts through the doors of the kitchen, startling everyone inside.